What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relics and damage

25thapril

A few pic's of interesting things seen and found yesterday I live in far north Queensland where a lot of training was done during WW2 The following pic's show some of the damage caused to trees in the area as well as some old inert relics still found lying around
1st is 25 pdr carrier round protruding from the groud
2nd is another 25 pdr carrier found 8 inches down
3rd & 4th show a 25 pdr hole straight through a gum tree 12 feet up
5th A piece of shrapnel removed from tree

Attachments

• watertanks2 001.jpg
    watertanks2 001.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 178
  • watertanks2 014.jpg
    watertanks2 014.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 168
  • watertanks2 010.jpg
    watertanks2 010.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 164
  • watertanks2 011.jpg
    watertanks2 011.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 174
  • watertanks2 003.jpg
    watertanks2 003.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 172
25 pounder hole 12 feet up!? hells teeth mate , we shoot possums with .22's here in NZ!

Great pics and items you have just laying around in the bush there and they look to be well preserved.

Regards
MG34NZ

More pic's

More Pic's

6th shows base of carrier in 2nd pic
7th & 8th show a 5.5inch

Attachments

• watertanks2 015.jpg
    watertanks2 015.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 73
  • watertanks2 012.jpg
    watertanks2 012.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 85
  • watertanks2 013.jpg
    watertanks2 013.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 84
Size of possums

G'day Andrew you obviosly { did I spell that right?}havn't seen how big the tree kangaroos get up here.:tinysmile_kiss_t4:

I have a mate who has part of a tree trunk with 25 pdr carrier still embedded in it
the saw mills up this way had a terrible time sharpening blades because of the frag stuck in trees

Last edited:
Double driving band ?

More Pic's

6th shows base of carrier in 2nd pic
7th & 8th show a 5.5inch

Hi 25th April, are you sure that the base of the shell you have is a 5.5 inch as it should have a "double" driving band ?????

Could it be an American 155 mm White Phosphorus Smoke shell ?
The wide band would suggest it was the WP Smoke shell.

Attachments

• 5.5 inch hea.JPG
    5.5 inch hea.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 155 wp smk a.JPG
    155 wp smk a.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 29
5.5in Mk1 HE had a single driving band,the attatched image shows 5.5in driving band designs...
quote from document on 5.5in i have sorry but unknown title...
" Shell, H.E., Mk.1 (100 lb). This shell is manufactured to empty design DD(L)9471 and is fitted with a driving band to design DD(L)9506/1. The empty design covers two alternative heads, one being in the form of a mild steel bush. Shell may be found in which the body is relieved in diameter between a 1.5 in. band at the shoulder and a 1.0 in. band formed immediately in front of the driving band. The base plate may be 2.8 in. or 3.0 in. dia.either of which may be screwed or plain. All base plates are finally secured by riveting. "

a little more info " DRIVING BAND DESIGNS

9. (a) Driving bands of the following designs are used with 5.5 in.
projectiles:

DD(L)9506/1
DD(L)11367/5
DD(L)11367/6

DD(L)11367/7
DD(L)16872/1

(b) Details of these driving bands are as follows:

(i) DD(L)9506/1 ‑ Single driving band retained by
either five wavy ribs or three knurled
rings in an undercut groove.

(ii) DD(L)11367/5 ‑ Double driving band retained by wavy ribs
or knurled rings in an undercut groove.
(iii) DD(L)11367/6 ‑ Same as DD(L)11367/5 but slightly heavier.

(iv) DD(L)11367/7 ‑ Same as DD(L)11367/6 but retained by straight
interrupted ribs.

(v) DD(L)16872/1 ‑ Similar to DD(L)11367/5 but rear band heavier.

Attachments

• d-bands.jpg
    d-bands.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Learning curve!

Thank you Spotter, have again learnt something new !

Brilliant pictures by the way 25thApril-keep em coming and thank you !

Last edited:
G'day Andrew you obviosly { did I spell that right?}havn't seen how big the tree kangaroos get up here.:tinysmile_kiss_t4:

I have a mate who has part of a tree trunk with 25 pdr carrier still embedded in it
the saw mills up this way had a terrible time sharpening blades because of the frag stuck in trees

had a similar problem when working for a timber importer out of Melbourne. The Merbau and Meranti he was sourcing from The Philipines was full of WWII shrapnel, nothing much 'identifiable' that I can recall, but by Xrist it killed bandsaw blades !! ended up installing a metal detector and chainsawing out the suspect bits. Eventually imported only pre-sawn timber. Figured the Philipinos could bugger their own blades !!