What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

remodelled 105mm projectile

kahu1

Premium Member
Remodelled for a friend.originally missing driving bands,these where recreated by casting on projectile in lead and then turning to profile on as lathe.a little bit thick but give the right idea.
cheers Bob.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 200.jpg
    200.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 73
good job mate.

very good band work.

What sort of stensill did you use?

I love restoring stuff,infact i enjoy it more than collecting.

Sometimes i get stuff very cheaply,thats abit battered and return it to its former glory.

regards

Nice looking projectile. Your rotating bands appear a bit large in diameter and size though.

Another method of installing new bands, is to get some scrap copper plate, and cut some strips the thickness of the bands to wrap around the projo with a band saw, and then TIG weld the strip into a band. Once the bands are on and welded, you can turn them on a lathe to size. Takes a lot of preheat on the copper bands and a water cooled TIG or a MIG gun with copper wire.

Hi 18 pounder,

the stencils were laboriously hand cut with a scalpel.the lettering was the closest style i found on the computer.
oh for a 1/2 inch stencil cutter!

cheers Bob.

good job mate.

very good band work.

What sort of stensill did you use?

I love restoring stuff,infact i enjoy it more than collecting.

Sometimes i get stuff very cheaply,thats abit battered and return it to its former glory.

regards

Nice looking projectile. Your rotating bands appear a bit large in diameter and size though.

Another method of installing new bands, is to get some scrap copper plate, and cut some strips the thickness of the bands to wrap around the projo with a band saw, and then TIG weld the strip into a band. Once the bands are on and welded, you can turn them on a lathe to size. Takes a lot of preheat on the copper bands and a water cooled TIG or a MIG gun with copper wire.
Can the bands be turned to size once they have been joined together? Will the weld show up once turned?

Hi 18 pounder,

the stencils were laboriously hand cut with a scalpel.the lettering was the closest style i found on the computer.
oh for a 1/2 inch stencil cutter!

cheers Bob.

bloody hell! must have taken you ages to do..good effort mate