What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacement Brass Driving Bands for US M61 75mm Armor Piercing Projectiles

M8owner

One of the best tank museums in the US, Museum of the American GI, is in the city where I live - College Station, TX. They decided to recreate a WWII photo showing a display of all of a Sherman tank's internal stores - including ammunition. The Museum has an adequate number of M61 projectiles, but they all had their driving bands removed. After trying many concepts to use plastic or steel look alike bands, I have adopted this technique. I cut strips of steel to fill in the driving band groove; they are 0.062 (1/16) X 0.400 X 8.75 inches. A hose clamp holds them in place while I press a 0.050 inch thick brass band over it. I got lucky and found the exact right size brass tubing on ebay for a bargain price - less than $100 for 5 feet. The brass tubing does have to be turned to the right size on a lathe. The last step is also to turn the band to the right size with the projectile on the lathe. I also had to make a die out of brass to press on these thin bands. So, this technique is not simple or cheap, and you need a lathe and shop press. However, it works and is much less expensive than having full size brass bands crimped into place.

Attachments

• IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3028.jpg
    IMG_3028.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3030.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3035.jpg
    IMG_3035.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
that's quite a good idea to the age old problem of how to replace driving bands.you would have to be carefull not to machine the grooves to deep otherwise the brass band could breakand you would expose the steel underneath.
technically they should be copper.
I have seen it done with copper flat bar formed around the projectile then fuze welded with a tig then the grooves are turned on lathe.

I was fortunate in finding this tubing. Its outer diameter is exactly 3.000 inches - correct for a US 75mm. I did not have to turn it down at all - just had to put a filet on the leading edge and polish.

I have hundreds of examples of projectiles with brass driving bands. I have yet to see a driving band made of copper.

US driving bands were usually 'gilding metal' which is basically brass but with a smaller zinc content (5%) than normal brass. The US did use copper for some driving bands, I have an Ordnance marked 75mm M48 which has a copper band.

British bands were copper.