What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replica/Fake U.S. MkI WWI Grenade Opinions???

Mk1 copy

Have seen a number of collectors (including myself) that say the MK1 is not re-produced at this time, but I don't think it'll be long. For years these grenades held little value, but in the last few odd years they are worth some stones. So I really think in a short time, somewhere they will be replicated....Dano

Well if anyone was wondering what the original green paint on a MK I looked like, here is the only one I like that that I have/had. Unfortunately, this is one of the grenades that was stolen last year so all I have now are the photos of it.

Hi, thanks for sharing pic. Nice grenade,Interesting. Too bad it was stolen.
The grenade looks grey to me though. Maybe a slight greenish tint, maybe our eyes and photo too.

Regards, Steve

Thought the colour on the lefthand one might show up better than it does. Anyway the fuze types might be of interest.

Hi, thanks for pic. Nice grenades. You have one of each, the "lug" and "no lug" version of the orig. fuses. Looks like the handles were painted black, when is the question?? I do not think original way they were issued. Maybe some collector over last 100 years??

Regards, Steve

BEFORE AND AFTER - MkI GRENADE BODY PHOTOS

Hi:
Im sorry, but it is totally fake.....:tinysmile_cry_t2:..... :tinysmile_fatgrin_t It is a real one, as Dano and other expert collectors said before there is no exist a copy, by now, in metal of the MKI body. Just yours it is a practice body, like mine with number 11. For this is slightly different from a combat one.

Hello everyone, Hello Miguel nice to hear from you. Please tell me, I do not understand. What do you mean "Im sorry, but it is totally fake" do you mean the green painted grenade that I show at beginning of this thread?? OR another that has been shown?

Here everyone, Look, I am done with my magic. I now think this is a real WW1 MkI grenade body. It just looked fake with the new green paint. I think it looks good now. When I stripped it, it was very clean metal under paint, so did a little work on it. First time for this type of re-finish. I found a good fast method it seems.

Here are B4 & After photos. It may not be "100% original" as far as the outside finish of the body, it should be black painted but to me it is a good example now. I think some MkI grenades had no paint anyway, they were some blackened iron finish grenades I believe.

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 23
  • PB070001.jpg
    PB070001.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 25
  • PB070002.jpg
    PB070002.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 24
  • PB070005.jpg
    PB070005.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Mk 1's

Heres my small selection of mk 1's. has anyone got a spare short lever for the one in the 5th pic? my one is a bit pitted.
paul.

Attachments

• Page11Mk1.jpg
    Page11Mk1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Page11Mk1dummy.jpg
    Page11Mk1dummy.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 11
  • Page11Mk1practice.jpg
    Page11Mk1practice.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Page11Mk1Practice2.jpg
    Page11Mk1Practice2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Page11Mk2withMK1fuze.jpg
    Page11Mk2withMK1fuze.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 17
practice or unfinished MK1

Hi Steve, I have a US MK1 on the way which i'll post pics of when it gets here. I posted here for 2 reasons. 1) It also has the off center F within a diamond and No 3 on the body which should further help validate that your mold is a good one. 2) This one has holes in the top and bottom but no threads. This leaves me wondering, was this a practice or dummy MK1 body which I doubt, or was this a MK1 that was just never finished, like maybe the switch to the MK2 was just underway and the MK1 stockpiles were left unfinished. There were enough dummy and practice MK1's to lead me to think that it is simply a MK1 body that for 1 reason or another never had the threads cut. I am not sure. Maybe I should have waited until this body arrives to post pics, but was thinking about it and would not leave my head. Whatever, I am excited as hell to get it and I ordered it within the US so should have it in a week or so at which time I will try to post up some detailed pictures..Best...Dano

Heres my small selection of mk 1's. has anyone got a spare short lever for the one in the 5th pic? my one is a bit pitted.
paul.

Hi Paul, missed this one from you. Very nice! I like the Wilson sporting goods trainer very much. Let me know when it is time for this to come back to where it started from :wink: Nice collection of MkI's Paul.

Regards, Steve
"Dr.Ruby"

hi steve. as soon as it is fed up:tinysmile_cry_t3: being on my shelf i'll let you know.
is there any thing more you can tell me about it?
cheers
paul.

hi steve. as soon as it is fed up:tinysmile_cry_t3: being on my shelf i'll let you know.
is there any thing more you can tell me about it?
cheers
paul.

Hi Paul, it was made by the famous US sporting goods company, here look....... it wants to come home, I think it is tired of you shelf already.

The company traces its roots to 1853 and the Schwarzchild & Sulzberger company (later changed to Sulzbeger & Son's)
Sulzberger founded the Ashland Manufacturing Company in 1913 to use from its slaughterhouses. It started out making tennis racket strings, violin strings, and surgical sutures but soon expanded into baseball shoes and tennis racquets.
In 1915 Thomas E. Wilson, former president of meatpacker, was appointed President and renamed the company Thomas E. Wilson Company. The company acquired the Hetzinger Knitting Mills to produce athletic uniforms and a caddie bag company which produced golf balls but soon expanded into footballs and basketballs
In 1918 Wilson left to concentrate on the beef packing business changing the Sulzberger company to Wilson & Co. (which would ultimately become. The packing company continued to have control in the company until 1966 when it was sold to LTV. Under new president L. B. Icely it acquired the Chicago Sporting Goods Company. It also hired a leather designer who would design the leather football.

Last edited: