What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

replica M16

fashinmick

hi

does anyone know how much you would be expected to pay for a 8 year replica m16 a private sale

cheers

Is it a 'replica' or 'deactivated'? I purchased an old-spec deactivated M4 a while ago for 1100 but they now go for more like 2000.

Have seen replicas (not plastic BB guns) going for 400.....

regards

2000 ?!!!!! My BRAND NEW live M4 was only a grand including all the extras 6 months ago and it's only 100 quid to get a smith to deac them? A cheep Tiawan M4 Copy new only costs 400! At 2K someons making a tidy profit!

Would post pics but I won't Ed :) xxx

C.

Replica?

There are hundereds of replicas out there.

Is it an Airsoft replica by any chance?

These range from 100 - 1000, depending on the make.

Since it's a replica though, VCRA will apply when selling.

In the UK, deactivated firearms is becoming big business but will be short lived due to 'pending' laws aimed at restricting law abiding citizens from owning anything that is remotely offensive.

Have a look at the following links - M4 2250, M16 A1 2750,

http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/post-ww2-58-c.asp

M60 5500 (http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/us-m60-machine-gun-rare---deactivated-1714-p.asp)

A serious rediciulous amount of money. BUT, when the new laws restrict ownership, the prices may rocket even further as these become harder and harder to source......"IF", and a big if at that, they require permits it will literally kill the trade.

Silly money but collectors are collectors.......

In the UK, deactivated firearms is becoming big business but will be short lived due to 'pending' laws aimed at restricting law abiding citizens from owning anything that is remotely offensive.

Hi,

pray tell us what 'pending' laws are these?

Andy

The current UK government are pushing for a complete ban on deactivated weapons. I'm led to believe that existing owned weapons may be exempt. Pre-95 weapons may be illegal. However, they keep having a 'push' an too date haven't actually passed any laws......but there is alot going on at the moment but hopefully the elections will get in the way and they'll thus have other more important issues to resolve.

Looking at these choices....

I was looking at the two choices you'd have to buy one. If you are looking for an absolute substitute for a real M16A1 than get the one that costs 2, 750. That weapon definately looks the look of being out in the field for a while.

The other one below it and towards the left would be more of an United States Air Force type of weapon in which the Air Force would be carrying during Vietnam. You see the USAF didn't want the forward assist on any of their wepons because they believed that you wouldn't want to chamber a round that will not go into battery anywise. The other branches took the M16A1 with the forward assist for "Just to have in case" cases.

I don't mean to say anything bad but I picked up to AR-15's for my Vietnam display. The one shown with my SOG gear was the most important weapon a Recon Team could have and mine is almost and exact replica of the real deal and will shoot semi-auto only. It is louder than the full ength AR15 that I have that looks like the reald deal too but it is sem-auto too.

Any more info you want to know just ask?

Mark

De-activated

The Home Office have not yet issued any guidance on their thoughts with respect to de-activated weapons. Following the consultation period they have stated that "Ministers will announce their plans shortly".

We shall wait and see, but there is no evidence to date that they intend new draconian legislation.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for that Tony,
from what you had said in previous threads i didnt think there was anything 'draconian' as you put it about to happen.

Andy

When it becomes illegal to own a deactivated gun is the day I would have to off myself. Things in the U.S. must be a breeze compared to other countries. I do not posess a FFL (Federal Firearms License) but can legally buy any gun 100 years of age or older (antique). Ane I would like to add that even after 911 it is not hard to obtain a FFL if you have not been convicted of a felony. Good, bad, indifferent - not for me to say. But for instance I can legally buy a model of 1892 Lebel revolver dated 1910 with no license or paperwork whatsoever. Now murder here in the U.S. uh time to stop.....Dano

Dano, I think what you mean is that you can have a CCW in you state, yes or no? Anybody here can get an FFL if you want to spend somewhere around $600 for one and have a store front and have to sell weapons to others and keep the proper records. Now another license called the "Curio & Relic" is a whole different thing altogether. This means for a $40 fee you can buy anything that is considered a C & R. With this you don't need a store front and you can buy these weapons for yourself.

Plus, crime has fallen in my state dramitically since it was passed a few years ago.

Plus being a former Police Officer myself, I was always glad to have somebody helping me out at O'dark thirty in the morning.

Dano, I think what you mean is that you can have a CCW in you state, yes or no? Anybody here can get an FFL if you want to spend somewhere around $600 for one and have a store front and have to sell weapons to others and keep the proper records. Now another license called the "Curio & Relic" is a whole different thing altogether. This means for a $40 fee you can buy anything that is considered a C & R. With this you don't need a store front and you can buy these weapons for yourself.

Plus, crime has fallen in my state dramitically since it was passed a few years ago.

Plus being a former Police Officer myself, I was always glad to have somebody helping me out at O'dark thirty in the morning.
Hi Mark, I am sure that you are probably correct. I have never had a firearm license and was using generic terms, from what I had heard and thought correct. I have bought 100+ year old weapons and know no license is necessary there. In fact one place (whose name i'll not mention), used to sell me WW1 rifles that were under 100 years old, working, and no paperwork involved. I had to give my word to never mention their name which I have held up the bargain to that end. I would much rather own a deactivated firearm than a replica any day of the week. To me a replica would hold little more than eye appeal...Dano

The Home Office have not yet issued any guidance on their thoughts with respect to de-activated weapons. Following the consultation period they have stated that "Ministers will announce their plans shortly".

We shall wait and see, but there is no evidence to date that they intend new draconian legislation.

This corresponds with a conversation I had with an employee of the London Proof House in October last year. I wrote about it on the 'WWII Reenacting' forum:

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=55823

But the basic problem hasn't gone away: deacts are a relatively 'low hanging fruit' that an inhabitant of the Home Office can grab when they want to be seen to be doing something about gun crime. My long-term prediction is that the law on replica guns and the law on deacts will be 'harmonised'...

Mark