What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reshaping Neck of 40mm Case

peregrinvs

Hi,

Amongst other odds and ends I picked up a 40mm break-up projectile at Stoneleigh with the intention of using it to 'dress up' a WWII British 40mm Bofors case until something better turns up.

Unfortunately the neck of the case has received some knocks and the projectile won't fit in. Does anyone have any advice / tips / tricks on reshaping the neck so it is 40mm wide and circular again without damaging it?

Thanks,
Mark

You could try a tubeing expander from your local mufler(exhaust) shop. I turned a mandrell out of aluminum years ago with a tapered lead on it. I just straightened the dent on the mouth best I could with a pair of pliers then drove the mandrell in with a hammer and it worked pretty good.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
BTW this was a brass shell case I worked with.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've managed to sort it by using a 2 pounder practice shell (about 40mm wide) as a mandrel and some applied brute force with a rubber hammer.

The break-up shell is now inserted into the case. Now to find an actual WWII British Bofors shell...

Cheers,
Mark