What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Respect!?

hicky1300

Having just finished a long day & decided I should watch a bit of THE wedding ( having been witness to the LAST wedding).
Whilst I think it quite right & proper the Unnamed Soldiers (1914-1918) grave in Westminster Abbey is noted & bordered, maybe all the persons, HM etc included, should at least pause at this part of "England" & show respect?
For all it`s pomp & circumstance the British establishment - be it celebrated or frowned upon, may not be celebrating today had it not been for the bones & spirit of the person beneath that honourable plinth?

I thought there was a big wedding there today, not a Rememberance Parade?
A wedding is a big celebration, at least i thought so.
I think there is a time and a place for this. Of course the Unknown soldier will be respected, he is after all in a very well respected resting place but his time will come every November for the official ceremony and those that wish to do so at other times can do so but not sure its the right thing at a wedding.
Do we all stand to attention every time we pass a local village War Memorial?
I pass a local one in a village i work in in Kent once a week. I dont stop and stand whenever i see it but i do think about the guys who died, every time i might add and i think for me that is enough.

Andy

Last edited:
Yes. but I wouldn`t be able to walk past it in good conscience without a pause.
Anyway 11/11 shouldn`t just be a date. One of my pupils from RAF Halton died last week - he was a bloody good airman.
No I`m not upset I didn`t get an invite to THE wedding & I wish them well.

I think what i was getting at is that most of us that notice these things do it in our own way.

I certainly notice such things and often look around Churchyards in areas new to me and ime sure some people did notice today and if they just thought about it, that would be enough in my book. To pause just because its expected of you, well,thats not right.

Andy

Not sure if it was a general salute but HRH P o W did salute whilst going past the Cenotaph. (rightly so in my book)

Gothica
That`s my point. I wouldn`t do it because it was " expected". My point is how can you walk past it?
Not a state of mourning - a state of recognition.
There were people at this event that will never have an idea (hopefully) what went on. So a pause of respect (regardless of date/occasion) at a National Monument is surely not too much to ask?

Royal Wedding or not respect, if even in the form of a short pause or a nod should be shown at all war memorials, especially by royalty. Anything less would be blatent disrespect....Dano

I agree with you Dano, but people just dont do it, especially at weddings and you cannot make them. As i implied before, its a personal thing. I do it in my way by always taking note of what i see and make a conscious effort. I dont stop, salute or nod but have a good look which in my book amounts to something similar. Not doing ot at a wedding in such auspicious circumstances i dont think is disrespect.

Would you have it that at anytime anyone passed a cenotaph or war memorial that everyone stopped and showed their respect every time?
It would be nice in a perfect world but ime afraid we aint all perfect and all have a living to earn etc in todays hussle bussle of life.

Do you genuflect every time you enter a church for example? Devout people do but it isnt a neccessity to pay your respects to god.

I dont think a single member who attended the wedding at the Westminster Abbey intended any disrespect to anyone buried there but were there to see the future king and his young wife to be get married on this joyous occasion.
We could actually say this at every wedding in every church where there are war memorials and those that i have been to with them, all thoughts have been on the occasion and not on the past. Each and every person unto his or her own, especially at a time of celebration.

I dont think anyone needs to get on his or her high horse over this. Those that pay respect will do so, those that wont, just wont.

Andy