What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoration using 3D Printing

Dronic69

Premium Member
Evening all,

Just though I'll share the restoration performed for a War Nose Mk V torpedo pistol.

(Refer to: https://www.bocn.co.uk/threads/war-nose-mk-v.108474/)

The item was unfortunately missing both the contact levers (whiskers) and the safety pin - I'll just be focusing on the replacement whiskers as the safety pin was simply made using a suitable off the shelf stainless steel Eye bolt and machined down to the correct pin diameter required.

The whiskers were more challenging as the only reference I had was the following cross-sectional diagram:

Drawing.jpg

Bear in mind that the above diagram only highlights one of the whisker type required - the other identical two are different base on how they intersect with the striker mechanism:

20230129_161547a.jpg

1st Attempt:
The first attempt (old school) method) was to use a 3mm thick aluminium rectangle bar and trace /cut out the adjusted size diagram on top............

Caveat No.1: The diagram is exactly that - a diagram, not a technical drawing to scale _ refer to red highlighted top prototype below:
(the ones below are closer to the final whisker shape after many iterations)

BOCN-9.jpg

The realization that numerous small fine adjustments were going to be required in order to fine-tune the prototype(s) - the most efficient process was to use a 3D CAD program and "print" ABS plastic ones for relatively low cost, ease of adjustment etc.

The 3D application used was FreeCAD - an open source 3D program that has the same functional characteristics as Auto CAD (expensive $$$) - and as the App name implied - free!!!

Example-10.PNG

The file is then sent to the 3D printer - in this case an UP+2 3D printer:

Resized_20230505_074401.jpeg

It takes between approx. 1 to 2 hrs to print each prototype (longer if the 3D filament jams in the printer head etc :()

The cross whiskers - not shown in the diagram are different around where the whiskers perform the mechanical cam action in the striker. Further, the x2 cross whiskers must permit the insertion through the striker in order to allow all whiskers to mechanically CAM when downward pressure is applied:

20230601_162522a.jpg

Note the "U" shape notch in the design of the x2 cross whiskers (bottom whisker)

Precise adjustments could not really be calculated due to the difficulty in gaining access through the pistol's body whisker slot, so many "iterations" were done: (yep - guesstimates by mm)

BOCN-10.jpg

Must have gone through a whole roll of ABS plastic!!! LOL

Caveat No 2: - 3d printing
The whole purpose of using 3D printing was to:
1) Produce working ABS plastic prototypes;
2) Sent the 3d file (.STL) to a commercial 3D Metal printer for the final product.

However, there are two issue with the above:
1) 3D printing is expensive to produce a couple of objects - of course cheaper if mass numbers were going to be produced. The above whiskers (x3) were around
> Stainless Steel (SS316) $350
> FIne polishing $750
> Mild Steel (MS1) $610
> Fine polishing not available for the MS ones
2) The initial 3D SS metal object is far from ideal - meaning that further work is required - i.e. fine polishing

This is typical of a SS 3D metal print prior to fine polishing:
ss316 printed.png

Obviously does require the fine polishing to look half decent!

thumbnail_slm fine polish-a.jpg

The other option for consideration was to use a waterjet cut method - somewhat cheaper but the danger here is that it is effectively changing a 3D object back to 2D.

The 3D .STL files are converted to .DXF files for the waterjet application.

Caveat No3: Waterjet cuts are based on available off the shelf steel stock - typically, either a 4mm or 5mm thickness sheet
The whiskers 3D required thickness was 4.6mm - so I ended up selecting the 5mm sheet as I was going to "polish" the MS whiskers myself. Easy right - that's 0.2 mm off each side!

The waterjet whiskers in mild steel (MS) cost approx. $380 and was quite impressed with the result:
(Note - Stainless Steel is harder to polish)

The waterjet whiskers are on the LHS | ABS Plastic on RHS:

20231206_184610a.jpg

After quite a bit of "polishing" using various grades of wet & dry sandpaper: - continued on next post.........( limited to 10 x photos per post?)

Last edited:
After quite a bit of "polishing" using various grades of wet & dry sandpaper and the bevelled edges done by hand file:
Only went down to 1000 grade W&D - as highly polished /mirror whiskers probably would look a little out of place with the original body and the goal was to produced a restoration inline with the current pistol body condition etc. (besides, I could continue the polishing further if I change my mind)

BOCN-11.jpg

and how it all fits together through the striker mechanism:

BOCN-4.jpg

Unfortunately, the next restoration project will definitely require a 3D metal print:

BOCN-12.jpg
Enjoy!

Last edited:
That was hard work, but the result looks realy great. But very expensive!
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you and you're very welcome!
Yes I'm very please with the final outcome resulting from the many hours of learning how to drive the FreeCAD program and numerous iterations of "fine tuning" which was achieved by either estimation or using a very thin felt pen through one of the whisker's slots to highlight the area in question. Once marked, a grinding wheel used to remove the excess material, refit /retest and then traced* the modified whisker back into FreeCAD. (*One great feature of FreeCAD is the tracing capability!)

The real challenge was aligning all the whiskers through the striker in order to achieve the mechanical cam movement when downward pressure was applied - this is highlighted by the concave shape on each whiskers - I was fortunate that the Mk V drawing showed this - but took a while to work out how the other whisker was shaped.

Front-Special2.jpg

Here's one ready for tracing:

SideBothCamberTest-k-71.jpg

After being traced back into FreeCAD - can be easily adjusted:

Example-7.PNG

Example-8.PNG
Interesting, I had some difficulty in applying a tapered chamfer edge to the top and bottom of the exposed whisker section.

In FreeCAD design, this is achieved using a subtractive pipe, in which I successfully achieved with a simple rectangular shape test object.

Test.JPG
However, abandoned the idea as I would have had to re-do the whiskers design in order to apply the subtractive pipe to the desire specific section.
As a footnote - would have been a complete waste of time as I ended up using the 2D waterjet process and the converted .STL to .DXF resulted in any 3D detail being lost!

Ended up doing it by hand with a file:

BOCN-13.jpgBOCN-14.jpg

Of course the most "inexpensive" method would have been simply to buy the 5mm MS sheet myself and trace /cut-out the outline on that using the 2D .DXF image......

But then I would have missed the opportunity to review the quality and precision of the waterjet cut result, which is far more consistent than using a small hack-saw + my shaky hand!!!!

(It was enough effort just to "polish" the waterjet results)

Cheers

Last edited:
@Dronic69

How does the 'tracing' application work in FreeCAD?

TimG

G'Aye Tim,

Long time Mate - I hope you are well!

You basically import an image - photo /scan image etc into FreeCAD using the IMAGE import function, then select the Sketcher features like B-Splines to trace around and adjust.

Here's a great tutorial on it:

As an example

BOCN-15.JPG

I hope this helps........
Cheers

Last edited: