What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore a butterfly bomb or is it best left alone? A post from a novice!

Montagu

Hello members

I've just obtained some relic butterfly bomb wings and I'm wondering if I should have a go at restoring the piece to a better condition or if I should just leave it alone. It has a fair amount of paint - green over orange. See photos.

Butterfly_Bomb_5.jpgButterfly_Bomb_2.jpgButterfly_Bomb_1.jpgButterfly_Bomb_4.jpgButterfly_Bomb_3.jpg

Is it possible to obtain replica parts to 'complete' the bomb?

I have read some of the helpful information already available. Does anybody have any further opinions they'd like to share? Comments from members with some experience will be much appreciated. I haven't set about anything like this before!!

Kind regards

Congratulations on obtaining an SD 2 wing set.
Whatever you do DON'T try to force the wings to open and shut, the hinges are often fragile and will break, then its really difficult to fix them. If they are ceased then use rust remover on them or oil.
If you go for a full strip down and take the whole lot to bits then good luck, it takes ages and there are 19 parts to each wing set. I do have reproduction spare springs if you need them.
Personally I've done both, some wings sets have been restored and repainted, others left as they are, its up to your personal preference.
As for the other parts. Number 41 fuzes are really easy to find. Bodies less so but they do crop up. 67 and 70 fuzes are more difficult to find.
One of the guys on the forum makes resin SD 2 bodies.
Dave.

Hi Dave
That's really useful. I think I should probably preserve the original paint as there's a fair amount of it. It's interesting that there's two layers of paint. There's a letter 'F' on the side too. Maybe I should look out for an appropriate fuze, especially if the number 41 will fit. A resin body would be great - I will look out for the maker!
Thanks again
Paul

The Restoration of my Butterfly Bomb

SD2_Butterfly_Bomb_email.jpgAn update:
In the end, I decided to go for a partial restoration. I removed much of the rust, but not all, by immersing the wings and arming spindle in 'Hammerite Rust Remover Dip' for 24+ hours. The wings look loads better and the solution didn't damage any of the paint. The spindle came up almost like new! I am impressed with the product!
It was still only possible to move one of the wings. Over the next 3 or 4 days I sprayed the wing pins with WD-40 numerous times. With patience and very gentle persuasion, one-by-one the wings became mobile. Now all four wings move beautifully!!! :)
I haven't replaced the springs at the moment. None of them act as springs any more but they still look good. I could replace them in the future but I'm happy with the way there are for the moment......
I managed to buy a type 41A fuze which is in great condition. Andy has just made me a resin bomb for the fuze. The 'bomb' is just amazing!! It's perfect and an exact fit and he's even sprayed it with green paint over red paint to match the wings. I'm really happy with it!!
So, here is a photo showing my SD2 as it is today. Just thought I'd share the above in case it helps somebody.......

Great sympathetic restoration Montagu.........looks great!!

It may interest you also to know that a small number of SD's were dropped in Lincoln, or at least on the outskirts.

regards Kev

Nice job you did there Montagu, thanks for sharing the photos.

Personally I'd leave that as it is and wouldn't try and replace the springs. If you did decide to try and respring let me know, I've got a pile of spare wing fragments, I can sort you out with some bits to practice on to save wrecking your complete wing set.

Dave.

Last edited:
Kev
I didn't know about the Lincoln ones but I know about the major Grimsby event! I've been to the former Ainslie Street cemetery area in Grimsby where so many landed.
I wonder where they landed near Lincoln.
Many thanks indeed for your kind words about my SD2. Altogether, t hasn't cost me that much when you see what they can sell for!
Kind regards
Paul

Nice job you did there Montagu, thanks for sharing the photos.

Personally I'd leave that as it is and wouldn't try and replace the springs. If you did decide to try and respring let me know, I've got a pile of spare wing fragments, I can sort you out with some bits to practice on to save wrecking your complete wing set.

Dave.

Right, many thanks Dave, I will take your advice and leave it as it is. The springs look fine but one tip or the other is missing so they don't work but at least they are are original. Cheers