What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore NOT

This is a 90mm German WW1 projectile that came to me from dave83 (thank you kindly David). Picture 1 is how I got it, and I had every intention of doing a restoration. Well I got to chipping away the huge rust scales and the further I got, the more I got to like it. After chipping off the "big pieces" a decision was made not to restore but to simply clear coat it and retain that relic look (was dug on Somme). I am very happy with the result and the second photo is the shell and it is as far as i'm going to go, as I just love the effect. Many times this has happened when I start a restoration and the "relic look" appeals to me so much I just stop and clear coat it. Bigger WW1 German shells are very hard to come by here in the U.S. and now I consider it a center piece to my collection. The 77mm will be my next project for a shell and will need to procure a Dopp z96na fuze...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 450.jpg
    Picture 450.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Picture 464.jpg
    Picture 464.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 82
77mm

Your 77mm shell has me puzzeled as the two I have have ridges around the base below the driving band and it is higher up the shell. They go with the 77 x 227R case which has matching ridges. Which sort of 77mm gun is yours for and whats mine for? thanks 2pr

The 1916 model 7.7cm

It was separate loading and had adjustable charges. 77mm long barrel on a Howitzer carriage.

77mm separate loading

The original German Model 1896 Field Gun was separate loaded, projectile first, then a 100mm shell case. This 77 projectile had no crimping grooves below the band and the rotating band was very low on the shell. When the gun was rebuilt-M1896n/A (new model), the breech was changed to accept fixed ammunition. The model 1916 field gun went back to separate loading, but with an extended breech, it also took the 227mm shell case, but this one has no crimp grooves on it. The longer barrel of this gun, plus the extended breech gave the gun much longer range. It was mounted on a carriage very similar to the 105 Howitzer which also gave this version of the field gun greater elvation. Mr Dano's projectile is for the first model 1896 field gun...........