What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore or not

Pictured here is a rare WW1 German 40mm Lanz Mortar projectile that I was able to pick up quite reasonably due to its relic status. I am up in the air about restoration as part of me says make a fuze and leave the pitted body alone and a part of me says to restore it. If I do restore i'll fill in the pits with Sno-white feather lite filler and repaint. I do not know where this projectile was found, but if I did it would definately be no restoring to it. Again it is a pretty rare important piece of German WW1 ordnance and would like other members opinions on what to do with this one.........Dano

Attachments

• Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 65
As there is no original paint on it it would not make any difference in my opinion to fill the pitting nicely and repaint it. Another issue then is if it gets more valuable after rework or not.

Yes. I do think on this one i'll have a go at restoration. The pitting and such detracts more than it adds. Basicly it is not worth much and I think would not be worth a nickel more after it's done as I would mark it as such. Eould never mis-represent a piece for profit but would be nice with its rarity and all to have a decent representative piece in the collection. Off to the hardware store for the lite filler (sands almost efforelessly)...Dano

Hey Dano
i would restore it mate,would come up a treat!
Havent used this filler you mentioned,is it a good tough finish?
If you have used it yourself,then Its good for me.
You take care and look forward to seeing your finished article
Regards