What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring a 25Pr 'hot water bottle'-thingy back to a case.

Stuka

Last week I saw this 25pr case for sale, turned into a hot water bottle or something, with a lid soldered on to it.
Normally I wouldn't even think about buying such scrap, but a quick look a the markings made me change my mind.
msf3.jpg

msf8.jpg

It is made in 1941 by ECC, Cardiff. The MSF marking indicates it was reworked/repaired at Ishapore metal&steel factory in India.
This makes the case much more interesting to me, it would have fitted nicely in my collection if it would have been a proper case instead of rubbish.
But the case still has it's original length and by the looks of it, removing the lid would not take too much effort.
So I decided to buy it, and today it arrived.
msf1.jpg

msf2.jpg

Applying a bit of heat to remove the lid.
msf4.jpg

Done, but it still looks horrendous.
msf5.jpg

After an hour of quality time and having fun with some sandpaper and polish, this is the result.
msf7.jpg

New primer to replace the ruined one.
msf6.jpg

There you go, from trash to treasure! You could even restore the original primer if you wanted to keep even more originality. You did well, looks good.

There you go, from trash to treasure! You could even restore the original primer if you wanted to keep even more originality. You did well, looks good.
Thanks! I doubt if this primer was the original one anyways. It was British made and filled, where I would expect an Indian primer on an Indian-repaired case.
Lacking an Indian primer, I replaced it with a British one. Something to look out for, but unfortunately not too common.