What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rettungsbojenlicht

skull181

I recently purchased this Kriegsmarine smoke Capsule: Rettungsbojenlicht.

I think it was used on ships and U-boats and at harbours occupied by the Germans.

If you went over board or fell in the sea, you pulled a cord attached to it and the life belt
and smoke came bellowing out and people could see you for miles.

Any body got any information on this nice little piece?

I think it's great!

Attachments

• kriegslicht 001 (800x600).jpg
    kriegslicht 001 (800x600).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 48
  • kriegslicht 002 (800x600).jpg
    kriegslicht 002 (800x600).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 65
  • kriegslicht 003 (800x600).jpg
    kriegslicht 003 (800x600).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 55
  • kriegslicht 004 (800x600).jpg
    kriegslicht 004 (800x600).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 58
  • kriegslicht 005 (800x600).jpg
    kriegslicht 005 (800x600).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 57
  • kriegslicht 006 (800x600).jpg
    kriegslicht 006 (800x600).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 64
  • kriegslicht 007 (800x600).jpg
    kriegslicht 007 (800x600).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 55
That looks unfired.

Be careful, if you accidentally set it off you will have to repaint the whole house if it is anything like the more modern smoke floats.

The dye in the smoke will bleed through paint so you have to strip all paint and wallpaper off before you can redecorate.

I was recently given a pains wessex smoke float dated 1979,i had to give it away before i had the urge to set it off and turn me and the whole area bright orange! They also get very hot too as there supposed to be thrown into water,so as Glevum says,be careful!

I remember as a kid finding a red smoke generator on Salisbury plain and taking it home in preparation for bonfire night.
It smoked the whole street out....................

It is a light as per the markings.

It does say "Licht"??, but I can't see how a light is installed. The top doesn't come off...

It would need a battery, and again, the capsule doesn't come apart to replace one.

Any more information?

It would have a battery built in, the same as a lot of life jackets have. It is activated when it hits the sea as there is a small hole in the case that allows the salt water into the combined light/battery unit. the salt causes a chemical reaction in the battery to produce the power needed to run the lamp, I believe that modern ones can last quite a long time. They are of course one use only and have to be replaced, so there is no need to be able to change the battery or lamp.

All the Best.
Richard

What would be the best way/method to send this abroad or would it be best not to send it at all??

Any help would be sound as it's now for sale and I'd rather some body pick it up or at least send it through normal post in the Uk.

Pete, being a pyrotechnic I doubt you will be able to post this item legally in the UK let alone worldwide.

Others may know better but I think this one may be 'pick up' only??

regards Kev

Yes, I agree with that, although I got this from abroad initially (Airmail), I would be worried sick while it went on a possible journey abroad.

I don't want that :afraid:

Pete, being a pyrotechnic I doubt you will be able to post this item legally in the UK let alone worldwide.

Others may know better but I think this one may be 'pick up' only??

regards Kev