What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RG 7.62 Cartons

Richard709

Hi and a happy new year to everyone, My question is does anyone know when RG stopped producing 7.62 in cartons. I know they still produce 7.62 linked by the shed load. I believe they still make small batches for shipping in cartons but buy most of in from Germany ??.
Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,
probably not a lot of help to you but the latest one I have is dated 15-05-06.

Cheers
Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info Was that black or green spot, as the only thing we had that used single rounds was the Accuracy sniper rifle. I was under the impression that apart from small runs, all the 7.62 went into linked belts and that major production stopped in the late 90's.

Richard

Hi Richard,
correct!,the green spot is from 1994,the latest general issue RG L2A2 box I have is from 7-8-90.

Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• P1090001.JPG
    P1090001.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 29
Hi Tony,

Cheers for the info, I also have a green spot dated 21-3-94x which I picked up at Bisley, I also have 2 green spot target ammo from 1979 in normal brown cartons, 1 has a complete label but the other only has the bottom section. will try to post some pic's later.

Richard

RG

It depends on whether you mean L2A2 ball for military use. RG was still loading "Green Spot" with 150 grain Sierra bullets in military type 20 round packets in 1996 and in commercial style in 1997.

L42A1, 2 and 3 was loaded between 2003 and 2006 approx and was issued for both target and sniper use.

Military L44A1 ball is still being loaded and the latest packet I have is 31.12.2008.

I can scan these if you want.

Regards
TonyE

Hi, Thanks for info, It was for Military use as I have not seen any Ball packaging Cartons or Boxes for since the early 90's. Have attached photo's of 2 of my green spot boxes. I only have Cartons up to the mid 80's for L2A2 ball. So any cartons for Ball after the mid 90's would be fairly short on the ground. Well I can always live in hope of finding some. cheers.

Richard

Try again with phots. I have reduced the file size this time, DOO

Attachments

• Web 762 boxes 002.jpg
    Web 762 boxes 002.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Web 762 boxes 003.jpg
    Web 762 boxes 003.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Web 762 boxes 004.jpg
    Web 762 boxes 004.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 8
RG

Here is the packet for the currrent L44A1 ball load.

I don't know if they are still loading L2A2 in belted but I have not seen any for quite a while.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• L44A1.jpg
    L44A1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 2
The latest belted I have seen is loaded with L44A1. Slightly off cue I have attached a photo of my 1991 Israeli 7.62 box, unfortunately it is completely empty. Cheers

Richard

Attachments

• Web 762 boxes.jpg
    Web 762 boxes.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 15
RG Cartons

The Cadets are still issued with RG in cartons; mostly the L44A1 stuff. I saw a school CCF unit using some at Bisley last year, but cannot remember what vintage it was.

Also, the BAE Inter-factory target rifle shoot at Bisley last May used RG-made L42A3 ammunition from 20-rd cartons, so I have been told, so it looks like it is still produced.
Roger.

Cadet

The 2010 Ashburton and the following Ashburton Veterans shoot last year also used L42A3, but like you I cannot remember the vintage.

Here are a couple of interesting early RG labels (that I may have posted before)

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Horseshoe.jpg
    Horseshoe.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 762labels.jpg
    762labels.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 10
The lastest L number belted I have come across is the L46A1 CBC contract rounds,but it would seem that they have gone back to using earlier dated RG(08) L44A1 ball and RG(08)L45A1 tracer now,the same seems to be happening with the 5.56mm,Swiss contract Ammunition now losing ground back to RG.
Would like to think that RG are now the main supplier again,but because of the earlier dates(saw 1989 dated L2A2 linked being used a couple of weeks ago!) I suspect the later ammo is being used elsewhere and reserve stock? being used on the ranges.

Tony