What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RHODESIAN BSAP CUP GRENADE DISCHARGER

I saw that cup-discharger listed on BOB a while back and I assumed that it would have been for launching CS grenades from a FAL or shotgun.

There is no mention of the cup-discharger in the BSAP COIN-IS manual that I can see.

I posted a question with a picture of the cup-discharger on a Rhodesian FB group, and one chap recalls something similar being tested on a shotgun with smoke grenades. I am still making an assumption that the intended purpose was to launch CS grenades, and that smoke was used during the testing/development stage. He mentioned one test involved a Brenneke type round, I presume they were trying to determine what cartridges could be used to launch an item from the discharger.

The BSAP had British No.91 and L1A1 CS grenades, and American Federal CS grenades (Federal products were also sold under the Civil Protection brand name)

A similar improvised cup-discharger was used by the British Army in Northern Ireland c.1971 to launch CS grenades. These were attached to an SLR. (See photos attached from Alamy)

A more refined cup-discharger appears to have been developed in South Africa for the same purpose. (See photo).

Attachments

• IMG_2673.jpeg
    IMG_2673.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2671.jpeg
    IMG_2671.jpeg
    430.3 KB · Views: 27
  • FB_IMG_1509196138264.jpeg
    FB_IMG_1509196138264.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 27
A reply to my question on FB copied and pasted below;

“I have a similar one that was used by the SAP for the early FAL/R1's. The only issue was sometimes shot off with the gas grenade. Was replaced by the ones that latch onto the flash hider, within the SAP.”

Although this relates to SAP use, I’m certain BSAP had them for the same use.