What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

riddle

what has 4 rows of segments a twisty pre 1918 handle and is rare as tits on a bull, and absolutely no sporting goods co. logo?? Answer forthcoming May 14th..Dano

Hey Paul, Extremely close but no cigar, in fact this is the first i've seen in this exact configuration. Will post pics when it arrives in 1-2 days..Dano

what has 4 rows of segments a twisty pre 1918 handle and is rare as tits on a bull, and absolutely no sporting goods co. logo?? Answer forthcoming May 14th..Dano

Normally I would say my penis but it's definitely post 1918.

no riddle at all

Well the riddle grenade came today, well it was not what I expected. It was supposed to be a WW1 throwing dummy MK1 US practice grenade, I was with the understanding that the grenade body would have 4 rows of lugs not the 5 like on your basic MK1 throwing dummy. Well old murphys law caught me and it was the basic 5 rows of lugs with the twisty MK1 handle. The only 4 row lug mK1 ive seen is the one Paul shows with the manufacturer on it. This brings me to my question. It just don't make sense that the bulk of your MK1 throwing dummies would have the 5 rows of lugs instead of four. Can anyone give me a reason for this. I do know the 5 lug changeover was during the war, but it seems that it would be the other way around with the bulk being of the 4 row lug variety instead of five. Does anyone have a plausible answer for this. I'm glad I got it cheap enough as when I ordered it I was under the understanding that it was a 4 row lug variety. Just don't make a hell of a lot of sense to me. I know the four lug throwing dummy with the manufacturers name stamped on the body is plenty rare. Does a 4 row lug throwing dummy without the manufacturers name stamped on it exist?? Dano

Well old murphys law caught me and it was the basic 5 rows of lugs with the twisty MK1 handle.

Dano, I have the same thing with the exception of mine being quite rusty from being recovered at the bottom of a horse stall just outside Ft. Dix about 14 yrs ago.

The only 4 row lug mK1 ive seen is the one Paul shows with the manufacturer on it. This brings me to my question. It just don't make sense that the bulk of your MK1 throwing dummies would have the 5 rows of lugs instead of four. Can anyone give me a reason for this. I do know the 5 lug changeover was during the war, but it seems that it would be the other way around with the bulk being of the 4 row lug variety instead of five. Does anyone have a plausible answer for this? Does a 4 row lug throwing dummy without the manufacturers name stamped on it exist?? Dano

Hello Dano,

I have never observed an example or official reference to a US Military Issue "4 Row Mk1 Dummy". Also It was always my understanding that the Commercial Wilson Sporting Goods Manufactured Examples were a post war commercial product manufactured as part of an outdoor game (Similar to lawn darts) and had no military issue or connection. Somewere I have a vintage magazine advertisement from Wilson advertising the game for commercial sale.

I believe that the "5 row Mk1 Dummy" Military Issue Examples were designed / manufactured that way as a "happy medium" between the Mk1 and Early Mk2 Fragmentation Grenades, which were both in service when the Mk1 Dummy was being produced. Prior to the introduction of the Mk1 Dummy, I believe that Empty Mk1 Fragmentation Bodies were being used for throwing practice.

Stay safe,

Frank

Last edited:
Thanks a million Frank, that explains alot. I had no idea the wilson model was part of a toy set. Makes my desire to have one wane a bit. I do like the 5 row MK1 throwing dummies as they are about as a classic US grenade as one will come across. Thanks again Frank, totally appreciated...Dano