What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Riegel Mine 43 shear wire

BMG50

Premium Member
Anyone know what the type of shear wire the Riegel mine 43 used. Somewhere i read it was brass but i read somewhere else its was steel wire as there was mention that the mine can become sensitive over a period of time because of it rusting away, or did they use both?

Hi BMG50,

As far as I know Riegel Mine 43 used steel wire, which was the Achilles heel of the entire ignition system, just because prone to rust rapidly altering the triggering.
I don't know if to overcome this problem has been used of brass wire, but I think it was a field expedient.

Regards
stecol

Gentlemen, I agree with the steel wire. Not sure if an even thicker brass wire, limited by the diameter of the loop hole, would have been strong enough to keep the provided safety load of 200kg on the ends and 400kg on the center of the body?