What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rifle range finds...help

sam73mck

Hi folks,

This is my first post and I'm looking for some help identifying a few items. I've been metal detecting an old rifle range and found a shell case that has me baffled. I'll attempt to attach a few pics to this post. It's 18mm in diameter and there're no markings on it that I can see. Both sides are slotted as shown.

The other one is a bullet. I get hundreds of .303 rounds and a few of these larger heavier ones. I believe they may be something out of a Martini-henry???

Best regards,

Sam.

Attachments

• IMG00687-20100819-1417.jpg
    IMG00687-20100819-1417.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG00688-20100819-1417.jpg
    IMG00688-20100819-1417.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG00689-20100819-1418.jpg
    IMG00689-20100819-1418.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 102
Hi Sam,
Welcome to BOCN.
The "Cartridge" looks to me like a muzzle protector.Possibly Lee metford but not 100%. The bullet certainly looks like a Martini Henry .450.
Cheers
Hangarman

Ahh haa

Hi Hangarman,

Muzzle protector would certainly make sense. The slot on it would make it slightly sprung to give a neat fit. I believe the rifle range was in use from the late 1800's until WWII. The unknown item was found in the same spot as 50 or 60 .303 shell cases. I also found a spoon with 1153 2HLI (2nd battalion Highland light infantry). I'm currently trying to date it from the soldiers number.

Thanks again,

Sam.

Finds

I confirm the previous identification for your finds. The first is a muzzle protector for either a Lee metford or Lee Enfield. It would fit either rifle.

the large bullets are from the .577/450 Martini Henry rifle, and are probably Mark III rounds, the most frequently encountered.

Regards
TonyE

Hi TonyE,

Many thanks for the confirmation.

I can see some staining around the larger cut out on the muzzle protector. I'm guessing the cut out would be the part that would fit around the sight at the end of the barrel. Would the staining be from some kind of padding that would protect the end sight form damage when fitting the protector?

Cheers,

Sam.

With regard to the soldier's regimental number, it was common to be issued with a four or five figure number up to & including about 1916. Around that time I believe that regimental numbers were re-jigged. Before then it was possible to have the same regimental number issued to perhaps more than 50 men - each cap badge in the army had its own numbering system. As an example two of my Great Uncles were brothers who attested in early 1915 at the same time and place, joining the Norfolk Regiment. They had consecutive regimental numbers - 4172 & 4173. George Albert Thompson died of `enteric fever' (dysentry) on Malta (after evacuation from Gallipoli) on 03/10/1915. Harry Robert Thompson had a six figure number at the time of his death at the 2nd Battle of Gaza on 19/4/1917. It was also common for men to be rebadged into other regiments, particularly if they had been medically downgraded or if numbers had to be made up in infantry regiments. As an example, my Grandfather enlisted as a 17 year old into the Army Service Corps in late 1914 but did not serve in a theatre of war. In mid 1917, now 20, he was in a reinforcement draft in 18th Battalion the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in Belgium. I don't know what his ASC number was but his KRRC number 201731 was six figures. He went on to join the Machine Gun Corps in about mid 1918, again with a different number.