What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rimmless Drill Round

Wooly77

Good Afternoon All,
I have this Rimless Drill/Dummy round with wooden bullet but am stumped as to what it is. I think from the head stamp that it is American being Frankford Arsenal, Philadelphia but don't know what the number and full stop signify.
The dimensions are as follows:
Length of case - 63.35mm
Base just above rim - 11.88mm
Top of case before the neck - 10.87mm
Neck - 8.36mm

Any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks, WoolyRimless Dummy Round HeadStamp.jpgRimless Dummy Round.jpg

This is .30-06 drill round made in the UK

These were made from fired cases of US made ammunition supplied to the home guard.

They were made with wooden bullets to conserve valuable materials during the war.

You are correct about the "F A" marking being the manufacturer. The "31" is a 1931 date. I can't remember what the dot means, but I'm sure someone else here can tell you.

Last edited:
Wooly, your round is a .30-06 originally made in 1931 by, as you say, Frankford Arsenal however the fired case was subsequently acquired by the UK and converted into the D Mk II drill round. This would have been carried out in 1941/42. It was most likely intended for the Home Guard.
The 'dot' after the date indicates a change in the number of case draws used during the manufacture of the case - apparently the number of draws was reduced from 5 to 4.
Jim

Sorry Falcon, I didn't mean to duplicate your reply....we were obviously both responding at the same time.