What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rocket Test Site ?

Weasel

Premium Member
Does anyone on here know what was tested here, it looks to have been well hidden. Amazing what you can spot when browsing around in google earth. I have tried to insert a KMZ file in the thread but am not having much luck so will give you the coordinates instead to look it up.

5224'29.44"N 222'41.70"W

Best regards Weasel.

More specifically a site for the testing of rocket motors and therefore hardly a danger to the local population as stated by the Wyreforestcaat. Interestingly their site shows a photo of the Rapier anti-aircraft system, a system that is actually for defence from air attack. As for anti-tank systems, those are primarily for defence from massed tank attacks and doubtless the UK stocks of anti-tank missiles have been reduced from Cold War levels. The French connection may have had something to do with the production in UK of the Milan anti-tank missile rocket motor. IMI Summerfield as I knew it, had a world class reputation.

Thank you Edwardc for the links and Ammotechxt for the added information very interesting, i thought it looked a bit different when i first spotted it, the road layout was very typical of a Russian ICBM site and that caught my eye.
Best regards Weasel.

This is literally just up the road from me although very little is visible from the road. You can occasionally hear tests if the wind direction is right.
Can't really see it as a significant danger to the local population either, although the main site at Summerfield is listed as a COMAH site so if it went bang it would be a big one :)
Did you notice the Dalek shape though......?

Andrew