What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROF Monograms

Dado

HI. I am researching the monograms of the Royal Ordnance Factory in Great Britain. I can't find anything about the following factories:
Queniborough
Ruddington
Walsall
Irvine (deposito?)
Sellafield
Wrexham
Brackla
Dunham

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Last edited:
Queniborough (filling) agency factory run by Unilever "QU"

Ruddington (filling) agency factory run Co-Op Wholesale "RDN"

Walsall (filling) agency factory run by Metal Closures Ltd, possibly "MCL"

ROF Irvine (explosives) "IRV"

ROF Sellafield (explosives) no listing

ROF Wrexham (Marchweil) (explosives) "X"

ROF Brackla (filling) "BK" satellite to ROF Bridgend

Dunham – Durham? - ROF Aycliffe "AE" or ROF Spennymoor "SR"?

TimG

p.s. Dunham on the Hill - Storage facility - no listing

Last edited:
Thanks TimG. I've been looking for answers for months! I've also been looking for other monograms on my box steels to ask you about. I apologize for this question. You know:
AWO
VAN
VAD

"AWO" - Albright & Wilson, Oldbury - phosphorus manufacturers
"VAN" - Vickers Armstrong, Bootle.
"VAD" - Vickers Armstrong, Dartford.

TimG

Thank you. For South Africa I found generic S/AFR markings. Are there ROFs with monograms?

South Africa didn't have any ROFs. They had a small number of government ordnance factories and a number of civilian factories manufacturing ordnance related stores. The monograms of South African facilities is not well documented.

TimG

TimG do you know which factory LP is?
It appears on various South African signal and CS munitions.

@reccetrooper

Alas no, do you have any other details such as year of manufacture, headstamps or other markings?

TimG
Here are a few examples from photos on my iPad.

9/65 L2A2 1.5” CS cartridge
2/66 L1A1 CS Grenades box
3/69 Mk4T 1.5” signal cartridge

All items seen are either in or have come from South Africa.

Attachments

• IMG-20190924-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20190924-WA0004.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4533.jpeg
    IMG_4533.jpeg
    796.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20190924-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20190924-WA0000.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 16
@reccetrooper

In 1961 South Africa became a Republic and left the Commonwealth of Nations. In 1963/4 the United Nations imposed an initially voluntary arms embargo on them due to apartheid. The sanctions became mandatory in due course. Prior to the sanctions a lot of ordnance stores had been sourced from the UK. With the imposition of sanctions, South Africa was forced to start manufacturing their own stores, acquire them by covert means or obtain them from the black market.

A 1964 list of South African monograms makes no mention of "LP"

It would appear that up to 1961 South Africa was reliant on the UK for the supply of CS stores.

It is possible that "LP" is merely a 'cover' monogram to protect suppliers acting in contravention of the sanctions.

However, South Africa did have a firework manufacturer namely - Ronden Manufacturing Company which was established in 1948, they went on to manufacture military pyrotechnics and in due course were purchased by Armscor and renamed Swartklip Products. Subsequently became part of Denel.

"Denel Swartklip has been engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture and proofing of pyrotechnics and explosive devices for nearly half a century. Its products include a comprehensive selection of riot control, high explosive and phosphorus devices, as well as pyrotechnics for signalling, screening, illumination, training simulation and battlefield application. Swartklip is the supplier of low velocity and high velocity 40mm grenades to several countries around the world, including Europe."

Edit - incorrect assumption deleted.

TimG

Last edited:
@reccetrooper

In 1961 South Africa became a Republic and left the Commonwealth of Nations. In 1963/4 the United Nations imposed an initially voluntary arms embargo on them due to apartheid. The sanctions became mandatory in due course. Prior to the sanctions a lot of ordnance stores had been sourced from the UK. With the imposition of sanctions, South Africa was forced to start manufacturing their own stores, acquire them by covert means or obtain them from the black market.

A 1964 list of South African monograms makes no mention of "LP"

It would appear that up to 1961 South Africa was reliant on the UK for the supply of CS stores.

It is possible that "LP" is merely a 'cover' monogram to protect suppliers acting in contravention of the sanctions.

However, South Africa did have a firework manufacturer namely - Ronden Manufacturing Company which was established in 1948, they went on to manufacture military pyrotechnics and in due course were purchased by Armscor and renamed Swartklip Products. Subsequently became part of Denel.

"Denel Swartklip has been engaged in the research, design, development,manufacture and proofing of pyrotechnics and explosive devices for nearly half a century. Its products include a comprehensive selection of riot control, high explosive and phosphorus devices, as well as pyrotechnics for signalling, screening, illumination, training simulation and battlefield application. Swartklip is the supplier of low velocity and high velocity 40mm grenades to several countries around the world, including Europe."

Assuming I've got the right Swartklip, it is located in Limpopo Province - LP

TimG
Thank you Tim, certainly prompted my thinking. I will have to do some more research and comparisons of LP products with other producers (SPRA, SP, etc)
Swartklip (the town) is in Limpopo, however RMC and Denel Swartklip were/are located near Cape Town.

Thank you Tim, certainly prompted my thinking. I will have to do some more research and comparisons of LP products with other producers (SPRA, SP, etc)
Swartklip (the town) is in Limpopo, however RMC and Denel Swartklip were/are located near Cape Town.
@reccetrooper

Yes! I've just done some further research and they are based in Philippi, Western Cape. It transpires that the name of Swartklip was obviously not due to the location but apparently due to presence of black rock.

TimG