What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Romanian bombs 1915

Dreamk

The very first Romanian aircraft bombs 15kg & 25 kg 1915, produced by C.F.R. company (no idea what C.F.R. stands for).

Romanian bombs 1915 15 and 25 kg Screenshot 2021-07-19 172151.jpg

Has someone more info on them (dimensions, explosive content, fuze, drawing, etc,,)?

Hello!

Yes, these are Romanian aircraft bombs produced on a small scale between 1915-1916. So far not much is known about them.
The photo you posted comes from a short memoir book "Amintiri de colaborare cu Vintilă Brătianu la fabricarea de muniții și armament în țară" published in 1936. It publishes memoirs about the activity of research, development and production of various ammunition and military products in the neutrality period, before Romania joined ww1, and also during ww1. The photo can be found at page 65.

Not much is known about those bombs. The text mentions that there were two weights that were experimented, namely 15 and 25kg, as you mentioned. This is the full weight of the bomb, including the shell, fuze and explosive content. The text also mentions that they experimented with various fillings (fast burning black powder, sodium chlorate, potassium chlorate, ammonal, etc) but does not say what was the final decision. The bombs were manufactured in the CFR - București Nord workshops, with some of the explosive, like the sodium chlorate being manufactured at CFR - Grivița. (CFR stands for Căile Ferate Române - Romanian National Railways. Their repair shops had sufficient workforce and tooling to start production on various military projects, like fuzes, artillery shells, etc.) .

Another fragment from an article published in the "România Aeriană" magazine mentions that there were two bombs developed, the Drosescu incendiary bomb (named after its inventor, engineer I. Drosescu working at Pirotehnia Armatei / Military Pyrotechnic works). This was a sheet metal bomb, with walls of 0,8mm steel sheet. This is the only information i have so far, and from this we can be sure that the bombs in that image are not the Drosescu ones. The second bomb was invented by I. Recuciu, quality assurance engineer at Pirotehnia Armatei.

Unfortunately this is the only info i have so far. If i will be able to find more, i`ll chime back in.

IMG_20210705_100245.jpg

Last edited: