What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROTA 5.56mm x 45

Monte

Hello I'm newbe to this network, and have some questions.

I have come across some 5.56mm x 45 ROTA ammo:
Flat Nosed Non-Jacketed Tip. Head Stamp: RORG 88.
Bottom of (20) Round Box: DD (RG) 2/0661 VP 88.
Top of Box: Batch Number 34

1) Value per Sealed (20) Round Box ($)?
2) Reloadable?
3) Good for Target Shoooting (Indoor & Outdoor)?
4) Year of Manufacture?
5) Grains (Example 62 Grains)?
6) F.P.S Value?

Thanks so much.

Rota

ROTA stands for Royal Ordnance Training Ammunition. The rounds you have were made at RORG, Royal Ordnance Radway Green in 1988 as the headstamp says.

To answer your questions;
I have no idea of the value in the US, probably not much more than shooting ammo. Here in the UK the individual rounds are probably worth about $3-$4 each.
They are reasonably accurate out to about 100-150 metres.
They are Boxer primed so reloadable.
There were several types of these so I cannot give a bullet weight. What colour is the bullet? The blue bullet weighed 1.43g.
I am afraid I do not know what F.P.S. means.

Regards
TonyE

They still have feet and seconds in America so maybe FPS has something to do with that.

N

Fps

OK Mr.Bonnex, one up to you! I looked at " FPS value" and thought dollars!!

Cheers Norman,
Tony

PS The muzzle velocity is not shown, so no F.P.S. value!

Thank you Tony & Mr. Bonnex, for your quick responses.

Yes F.P.S. = Feet Per Second.
Bullet Color = Dark Gray
Any Collector Value in a Sealed Box of (20) Rounds?

Rota

The dark grey bullet is one of the mid range rounds which they called the "Midi" load, designed to be accurate to 100-150 metres. I am not sure which particular material the grey bullet is made from.

As to value in the US I have no idea, as it would probably only appeal to a 5.56mm or British military collector.

Regards
TonyE