What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RPG-7 retension

Hello,

I tried searching for this information everywhere, but how are PG-7 and other rockets retained (aka not fall out of) in the RPG-7 launcher?

Thank you

By keeping the launcher horizontal either pointed slightly upward when a grenade is placed in the launcher. Also, the impregnated paper wrapper of the initial propulsion charge gives some friction to the inside of the RPG launcher.
As the projectile with the propulsion charge is quite long it does not fall out very easy.
And yes, if you sit in a jeep with a loaded RPG 7 and the driver hits the brake abruptly, the projectile will be thrown out due to inertia.
Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Yes, there is some friction over the long rocket length as you push it into the tube. We never carried any loaded tubes around, but I don't recall any ever slipping out at the range.

Hmmm. Had never even thought of that "issue". Of course, never got to run around with one, so. . .
One would think, though, that some sort of retention device would have been invented by now.

Thank you for the responses gents! The only thing I've ever seen mentioned about it was in a write up by Dan Shea for SADF, and he mentioned something about a rubber gasget providing tension, but I've never seen it on the various pictures of PG-7 rounds I've looked at. So I assume it's just friction fit via the paper?

PG-7 rockets has fixator, like small screw on the main rocket engine, near nozles. That keeps rocket in launcher and keep corect grenade position for firing pin.

That screw/pin is for keeping the rocket at the proper rotation for the firing pin, but there is no kind of latch or clip keeping it in the index slot.

Under that pin is something like round plate. That plate keeps rocket and works like spring.

Under that pin is something like round plate. That plate keeps rocket and works like spring.

I can see what you describe in the picture below. Does the plate act like a plunger and keeps tension against the tube/launch from the inside? Or is the plate made of a plastic/rubber which compresses to keep tension against the inside of the tube?

inert-russian-rocket-propelled-grenade-pg-7-out-of-stock-[3]-325-p.jpg

Plate is made from metal and is elastic. Work like spring to keep tension against the inside of the tube.

I found a similar picture of an Israeli-made RPG rocket that did not have that 'retention ring'. Unfortunately I could not save or transfer it. I can't recall any of the markings on those I handled, but they were most-likely Israeli.