What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian 125mm 3BM-22 projectile

Spaceinvader

Got this one in this week, my first complete Russian APFSDS round and first complete 125mm projectile as well.
This came from a burn pit (sellers information) and was covered in a thick black soot like stuff. It didnt come off with soap/water, and I ended up using brake cleaner (good in my experience). Because of that I originally thought I would have to clean it up and repaint it but after some cleaning with a rag and brake cleaner I noticed there was some paint still on it. After doing a little experimenting I found most of the body still had paint and ink markings except for the tail and the very tip of the nose.

After just 45min of cleaning with a scrubber pad I was able to get off all of the black stuff and it looks almost brand new! Very very happy with this, and a killer deal for just a little over 100$. The pics are ordered clean-dirty/original condition. It has yielded a few ink stamps and many stamped markings on the sabots, boom and fins.

Could anyone tell me if the ink stamps "3-12-86" is a date? These where produced in the 80's which would make sense for the "86" however I also have a Russian BM-20 which also has a code like that except it is "33-28-81". Either a factory/lot code or different codes for the projectiles?

Attachments

• 125mm clean 1.jpg
    125mm clean 1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 125mm clean 2.jpg
    125mm clean 2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 125mm semi-clean.jpg
    125mm semi-clean.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 125mm semi-clean 2.jpg
    125mm semi-clean 2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 125mm semi-clean 3.jpg
    125mm semi-clean 3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 125mm original.jpg
    125mm original.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 125mm original 2.jpg
    125mm original 2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 125mm original 3.jpg
    125mm original 3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 33
0-0-0

first - factory number
second - batch number
third - year

C - this means that round have core(С - Сердечник)
БМ22

btw can you measure 3BM20 and make photos? :)

Thank you Wolchonok! That makes more sense now.

What measurements would you like? I dont currently have a good set of calipers but can do my best. I will take some photos tonight as well, however I do not have sabots for it, only the penetrator.

What measurements would you like?
4tq9m1c.jpg

if it's possible

If its no problem I will try and get a better pair of calipers over the holiday break and get back to you ASAP. Do you have an email I could use to send to you?

I will post photos here tonight.

0-0-0

first - factory number
:)

If I refer to Wolchonok answer, factory is :

3 =Ulyanovsk Machinery Plant State Production Association, 2 Metallistov St. Ulyanovosk 432031, Russia

Badly, I have no reference about a Russian 33 !
Only CZE or BGR

- WaffenwerkBrünn, Czechoslovakia.
- ARCUS, Lyaskovetz

Yoda

Wolchonok - Can you find in Russia the BM20 three sabot petals that fall away in flight? Quite a few projectiles (I have several extras) have made it to the US, but almost none of the petals are over here.

The BM-20's are practically worthless now with the amount out there, I have seen UK sellers un-able to move them fast enough and are stuck with quite a few now.

I have asked around with no luck on just sabots. I believe I still owe you a paypal transaction for those sabots Steve, if you still have them!

Wolchonok - Can you find in Russia the BM20 three sabot petals that fall away in flight? Quite a few projectiles (I have several extras) have made it to the US, but almost none of the petals are over here.

If anyone is good with resin they're welcome to borrow a real set to copy.

Dave.

IMG_3007.jpg

Hallo,
in the 4th photo, of the underside of the 2 fallaway segments, I notice, that this model does not seem to have the 6 small canted holes (like nozzles) that older models of the BM-22 had. Does anybody know anything about this design change ? The other thing is, that this model is not a pure kinetic energy projectile, but contains a small HE-charge. Does anbody know which fuze was used for this ?
regards,
Bellifortis.

The sabots are much to complex to make with a silicone/resin mold. You COULD but you would need a new mold each time, as you would have to cut it off.

It could be worth doing as there is more than enough penetrators now in peoples collections but they would not end up cheap.

I have a set of BM20 sabot petals waiting for you Rhys. If anyone else wants them, they cost $170 per set plus shipping to have them 3D printed.

it's not very often on sale even in Russia.

https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/216/1201558.html

sometimes you can find something on this forum, but it's very hard because it's very old

https://reibert.info/lots/snarjad-100mm-podkalibernyj.17939/

sometimes this ukrainian forum sell interesting stuff, but most of the time it's banned in Russia