What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian 23mm?

orcutteod

I'm pretty sure this is a Russian 23mm but wanted to verify it. The projectile is hallowed aluminum and is a little less than 25mm in diameter. So I guess it's a demonstration projectile.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 54
It is near impossible to ID something in a down looking isometric view. Take a photo looking straight at the side of the complete dummy to show the correct profile.

IMG_1569.jpg

Here's my 23MMs. Projectile profile is a little different from yours, but I'm sure there were many variations.

Thumbed thru my SOVIET CANNON encyclopedia. Without delving too deeply into the text, it looks like orcutteod's shell may be a Czech "tool cartridge or chamber gauge". Pg. #147 of about 20 with numerous options/variations/countries of mfg. As for mine, I've not identified them any further than dimensions. I'd forget, anyway.

It looks to be 23x152B Vya/ZSU 23 cartridge. Then it cannot be czech since this round was not used by Czechoslovak armed forces.
Bob

I believe Mr. Nabob is correct. Thumbing further thru the book, I ran across the belted(152mm) options and there is an example with the same headstamp, although the "A" (at 9 o'clock) is obliterated on the pictured example here. I could not find a chromed example in the book.