What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian 3in BSC

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Interesting shell made in the USA by BSC for russian 3in gun with T-3 fuze (I assume). Maybe for AA.

x0.jpgx1.jpgx4.jpg

Last edited:
You found that unfired in France? That would make sense since a Russian army unit did serve in France in WWI.

You found that unfired in France? That would make sense since a Russian army unit did serve in France in WWI.
From the Cyrillic in the date stamp ("ноя" standing for "ноябрь", "November") I'd say this was found in Russia or Ukraine.

In any case, the fuze is indeed a Russian T-3, so I assume this is a WW1 vintage US-produced (Bethlehem Steel Company) 3-inch shrapnel for the Putilov 1902 used with a different fuze during WW2.

Interesting piece in any case, because, from what little I know, the T-3 fuze is quite rare, being immediately superseded by the Т3 (УГ), the T-5 and T-6.

Attachments

• 1059905.jpg
    1059905.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20191109_143511.jpg
    IMG_20191109_143511.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2019-11-09-14-18-40.png
    Screenshot_2019-11-09-14-18-40.png
    438.4 KB · Views: 22
Found on a forum in cyrillic.
I can't see the fuze adapter, common on 3in russian shrapnel shells.
Could be an HE shell for AA. In this case, no reference for such a shell.

Found on a forum in cyrillic.
I can't see the fuze adapter, common on 3in russian shrapnel shells.
Could be an HE shell for AA. In this case, no reference for such a shell.
I'm not sure, the picture is pretty low quality, but it looks to me like there is an adapter present, which would make this a shrapnel.

Attachments

• x1_adapter.jpg
    x1_adapter.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 10