What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian Artillery Fuze Paper Weight

Brian Keith

This interesting paper weight is constructed from the fuze of a large caliber Russian artillery shell. Can anybody ID it for me? The widest point is about 97mm and it is about 80mm high. From what I have found on this site, the Cyrillic letter УД , "Udar" or impact. It looks to me to be Czars era, pre-WW I, but Im just guessing.Thanks in advance for any information.
BKW

Attachments

• DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 25
Can you tell what is the highest number on gradiation ring? ( not the 29 that we can see on picture ). That will tell a lot as there are several near identical ones.

Quite interesting, I can't find this in Finnish WW2 ammo manual which covers a lot of captured Russian ammo used in Finland. Therefore it mus be quite scarce/limited use. Also the marking 1 to 30 shows a very short burning time ( the numbers do not refer to seconds but to a flight time from a specified gun ), thus a wild guess it would be it's for a mountain gun or similar.
Hopefully some other member has better information for you.

Thanks for looking Tmine35. I just looks to me to be pre-WW I so may not show up in a WW II era reference.
I have a small Finnish trench art shell I will be posting for ID, you may be able to help me on that one.
I will repost this thread in the proper fuze section.
BKW

If I see the last picture correctly your fuze was made in 1914.
After 1917 Finland had a lot of Russian armament left behind by retreating Russians. In WW2 we still used the most part of that + during WW2 we captured a lot more of the same that still was in Russian use.

Last edited:
The stamping on the underside looks to be "14r. 3" so I take it that would be the manufacture date of, March, 1914?
I posted the small shell in the "Identification" section.
Thanks!
BKW