What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sangster Grenade

FNG61

Sangster grenade. Marked on the body; SANGSTER / PATENT / RIFLE GRENADE . The socket of the striker holder is marked; SCREW (safety pin hole) DOWN TIGHTLY. There is a coating of tan paint underneath that orange paint. The orange paint is old. The throwing handle included with the grenade looks like the handle for a No.2 The thread of the handle is the typical rifle grenade rod thread. Is this a hand version of a Sangster grenade? Seems like it would take a motivated throw to get that wind vane moving.

Attachments

• DSCF2028.jpg
    DSCF2028.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF2027.jpg
    DSCF2027.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF2024.JPG
    DSCF2024.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF2023.jpg
    DSCF2023.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF2022.jpg
    DSCF2022.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF2021.jpg
    DSCF2021.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF2020.jpg
    DSCF2020.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF2019.jpg
    DSCF2019.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 35
a fantastic find but ive never heard of them being used with a throwing handle. Im sure Bonnex will have the answer!
Cheers, Paul.

Interesting item . I've never seen one marked that way . They normally only have the makers mark & date on the brass collar at the top . Are the threads for the vane sleeve left or right hand threads ?

Nice one. Perhaps the Royal Flying Corps decided to have a play with a few as air dropped devices. Documentary evidence certainly supports Mills bomb dispensers as being designed and evaluated, possibly even used in anger.

Tom.

No25c2.jpg

What a treasure!

The marking is found only on the Mark I grenade. It would make a nice club with a throwing handle but is unlike to 'arm' if thrown. Snufkin's air-dropped idea is good but I expect there were better options for the RFC by the time the Sangster came along. It would look much better with a rod (in my opinion).

The base plug has a LH thread?

Re the handle, is it a good fit? I ask because the thread on the Sangster is quite fine and slightly larger in diameter than the No2 - I will have to get the gauges and mic out.

Last edited: