What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SAP looks american to me?

al'saad

Ordnance approved
found this bomb shown on photos...body shape looks like US WWII era SAP, only it has british type hanging (one eye not two like at US bombs). think it might be AN M58 bomb. anyone to confirm or give correct id?

Attachments

• sap1.jpg
    sap1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 80
  • sap3.jpg
    sap3.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 68
  • sap2.jpg
    sap2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 78
Hello! My opinion is a UK M.C.500 LB the Mk XI, with tail fuze from Bakerlit NO 28 or 30. This bomb has also a US suspension. Harry

Hello! My opinion is a UK M.C.500 LB the Mk XI, with tail fuze from Bakerlit NO 28 or 30. This bomb has also a US suspension. Harry

i am not familiar with any of mentioned types, but as I can find in books Mk XI has nose fuse, and bomb on photos hasn't.

anyway thanks for tip

MC 500 Lb

Other possibility, see attachement (sorry for bad quality)

Attachments

• MC 500 Lb-01.JPG
    MC 500 Lb-01.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 55
  • MC 500 Lb-02.JPG
    MC 500 Lb-02.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 55
Nose Plug

Hey al'saad,

Looking at the pics I see a nose plug fitted. Both the XI, and AN-M58 could be fitted with a nose fuze and tail fuse configuration. Either noses could be plugged. I agree with Fuse2004's opinion on the No 20 or 30 tailfuze. The AN-M58 has an M100 series tail fuze, your pics are NOT reflective of those. If your still looking, measurements would help. Cheers.

Al'saad,

The fuze well in the base of your bomb is not U.S.

Be aware that U.S. Bombs 250 L.B. to 1000 L.B. have 2 suspension lugs on one side at 14 inch spacing, and 1 lug on the opposite side for use in U.K. aircraft.