What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

schrapnel ID

helger84

hi !
please is someone could help me to ID this item ?
thanks
LG

my.php

Last edited:
Hello,

They look like hey are off a german wk1 granatenwerfer? (i think that`s how its spelt!)

best

waff

splinters

waffenamt,youve done it again!
a mystery solved.
I have one small triangular chunk of this stuff found near Albert,and wondered what it was!
I now know what its from
cheers mate
18pounder:tinysmile_shy_t:

Arnt the segments too pointed in shape for the granatenwerfer as all the ones i have seen have been flat sides and tops

I dont think it is from the Granatewerfer as the frags are very pyramidal. The granatewerfer has flat squares.
some of the austrian SchwerGranates have pyramidal frags, could be from one of these??

Attachments

• Page6granatwerfer.jpg
    Page6granatwerfer.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Page9Schwergranate7.jpg
    Page9Schwergranate7.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 18
Grenatenwerfer-possibly not !

My immediate reaction was the same as "Waff's" until I saw the radial groove on the large fragment, also looking again at the large fragment it appears that the "chunk's" are actually cast on the inside of the casting or is it a trick of the light ?

Are they cast on what would have been the inside of cast body :questionmark:

Sadly 1WW munitions are not my forte so cannot offer any alternative suggestions as to what these "fragments" are off.

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

Helger84 ,do you know if these were found in an area of fighting and from what period e.g WW1 ?

schrapnel

hello !
no ww1 battlefield
but on french airdrom occuped by german troops during ww2
in southeast of France...!
some Flaks were localised around this airdrom
look an other view of this item
each pyramidal part is 3cm x 2.5cm

Last edited: