What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 Butterfly Bomb query - Training versions

Rockteer

Hi,

Can anyone please explain to me what the difference is between a training Butterfly Bomb and a standard combat version? how can you tell the difference?

Last edited:
Bump!! does anyone know the answer? did they have a special training version of the SD2? I have noticed some difference on the paddles, some have the squared off attachment tab while others have the curved attachment tab, does this denote anything? I have also been told the training version had hole drilled on the bottom of the main bomb casing??

There are definitely versions with a hole in the bottom center. Normally there are remnants of red paint as with the other training submunitions. I am not aware of any meaning to the tabs, that sounds more like a factory variation.

I believe the bodies with holes in are ones found on the training grounds, I think the hole is to emit a small puff of smoke (possibly coloured) and may have been done to test the fuze function, certainly if dyed it would prove the fuze had functioned correctly, especially if dropping from a container??.......not a proven theory, but as good a explaination as I can find at this moment in time.

As regards the paddles, square or curved - I think that this is more than likely a manufacturers difference, (as US-Subs already states) certainly the official manual shows both curved and square paddles and I have seen photographs of both types being used in raids on the UK.

I hope this helps a little

regards Kev

I have also seen a line drawing in the German Explosive Ordnance manual (American) showing a practice version which was said to be a normal unfilled body with a steel band fastened with a nut and bolt to which was fixed a length of steel tubing and a crude drouge made from curved sheet steel. I have never seen or heard of one of these outside of this manual and would be interested to know if they are proven to exist? Anyone know?

Last edited:
Butterfly has landed! thanks for the input that has cleared up my questions in my head, we have spoken before Butterfly, in fact one of your restorations is in the museum ;), I have recently taken delivery of a nice Sd2, has quite a tale to tell of the battles it took to finally take delivery of it. Anyway a post for next week perhaps. I don't want to burn out on posts to quick!

Hi,

Can anyone please explain to me what the difference is between a training Butterfly Bomb and a standard combat version? how can you tell the difference?

Interesting thread.
With the SD2 there seem to the the ones with a hole in the base of the bomb body and the ones which don't. There's been quite a bit if discussion about the ones with the holes in the bottom, possibly fuze test, possibly smoke versions. It would be nice to source some original information on these.
The other training versions are of course the British made copies which were made for instruction when presumably there weren't enough of the real SD2's to go around at training sessions, I've seen 4 different ones all of which vary quite a lot. The one I have is really solid and a lot more robust than a service SD2, the wings are much more solid, presumably to stand up to the stress of being opened and closed/passed around etc.
Dave.

What if it is done by who ever deactivates or decommissions these? Alot of ordnance has a hole drilled in the case to show it is empty??? just a thought.

What if it is done by who ever deactivates or decommissions these? Alot of ordnance has a hole drilled in the case to show it is empty??? just a thought.

Can't disagree with that idea however I've had at least 10 of the "practice" (for want of another word) versions over the last few years and all seem to have similar sized holes in the base. Several of them were empty relic ones where the hole in the base was obviously original i.e. very heavily rusted. That's not to say there aren't ones out there that have been drilled to prove they are deactivated.
Dave.

Yes I take your point, it would be strange that every individual used the exact same size drill bit every time. I am sure someone out there knows the reason but for now it will have to be put down to some form of training.

The holes drilled in the SD2 body's are to let a red smoke out when the bomb hits the ground or is set off once landed..... Dave