What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 Relic department

satan18

Looking through the last bits of Butterfly goodies in the hope that i can
salvage one more rebuild.

There is one realy nice wing left that was given to me by a good pal:smile:
which is going to be the basis of the next 2A rebuild.

The yellow one is worse than it looks but will remain a relic due to the amount of paint left on it.

The other pair of wings are whats left over from my batch from finland which still have a few blast holes in them and a bit of rust.

Attachments

• Relic SD2s 001.jpg
    Relic SD2s 001.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Relic SD2s 002.jpg
    Relic SD2s 002.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Relic SD2s 004.jpg
    Relic SD2s 004.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Relic SD2s 003.jpg
    Relic SD2s 003.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 47
OOooooooooo they look interesting Phil.
Try the magic hammerite dip on the yellow wings - it'll get rid of the rust but won't hurt the paint at all, in fact it'll clean any staining off the paint.
I look forward to seeing what you're going to do next.
Dave.

OOooooooooo they look interesting Phil.
Try the magic hammerite dip on the yellow wings - it'll get rid of the rust but won't hurt the paint at all, in fact it'll clean any staining off the paint.
I look forward to seeing what you're going to do next.
Dave.

Will give that a go Dave as i have heard about it more than once which must mean it works.

Best phil

how to clean

Actually Phil the best way to clean these items is air travel, you need to send them oversea approx 14,000 km's say prehaps to Australia! apparently the high altitude lossens the rust particals and you just have to wipe it over with a pair of your wife lacy underware and low and behold the rust has magically disappeared or so I've been told! Now in the interests of sience and the advancement of the human race I will volunteer my assistance [and the wifes best undies] to the cause!:tinysmile_shy_t:
No stop that, it's OK No I don't mind doing it that's what friends are for. Yes of corse the wife is on board with this. Once again Mate no problems I wouldn't have offered if I didn't want to help you out.

Just sitting here waiting for the postie
Regards Daryl

SD2 Relic department

The yellow one is worse than it looks but will remain a relic due to the amount of paint left on it.

The other pair of wings are whats left over from my batch from finland which still have a few blast holes in them and a bit of rust.

Nice one Phil!

Can see just why your leaving the full set as be, cracking original paint-seldom seen! Can't wait to see the results after Daves formula has worked its magic.

Thanks for sharing and await further development on the SD2A rebuild.

regards
Kev

Actually Phil the best way to clean these items is air travel, you need to send them oversea approx 14,000 km's say prehaps to Australia! apparently the high altitude lossens the rust particals and you just have to wipe it over with a pair of your wife lacy underware and low and behold the rust has magically disappeared or so I've been told! Now in the interests of sience and the advancement of the human race I will volunteer my assistance [and the wifes best undies] to the cause!:tinysmile_shy_t:
No stop that, it's OK No I don't mind doing it that's what friends are for. Yes of corse the wife is on board with this. Once again Mate no problems I wouldn't have offered if I didn't want to help you out.

Regards Daryl

Ahahahah!! Like it!.like it a lot! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

waff

No worries Phil on the paddle ;)
Im on the hunt for more artifacts.

I remember the 'borman' wings i got looked similar to that first set you have?
Its a pity that were wasnt more paint on them as we could have done the 'Dave-Magic-Dip' on them perhaps before a re-paint? Nay mind though as ive been more than pleased with the end results of the resto's. :)

best
waff

Last edited:
wing it

Hey Phil, That set of yellow wings is just awesome. I'm not so sure i'd even try to remove the rust as it has that oh so rare mixture of original paint while retaining a relic look. Of course, in the end the choice is yours and i'm sure it will be interesting whichever route you take. Would you please keep us informed as the project progresses as I just love seeing the transformation as it un-folds (pun intended)...Dano

Nice one Phil!

Can see just why your leaving the full set as be, cracking original paint-seldom seen! Can't wait to see the results after Daves formula has worked its magic.

Thanks for sharing and await further development on the SD2A rebuild.

regards
Kev

Thanks kev
Gradually getting other bits put aside including a nice set of banana paddles.

Best phil

Thanks kev
Gradually getting other bits put aside including a nice set of banana paddles.

Best phil

Phil you can have this if its any use - no worries if you don't it'll just stay in the spares box.
There's one bit of damage as shown in the photos but I'm sure you could fix that.
PM me if you want me to post it off to you.
Dave.

Attachments

• 12 Dec 09 014.jpg
    12 Dec 09 014.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 12 Dec 09 015.jpg
    12 Dec 09 015.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 17
Hey Phil, That set of yellow wings is just awesome. I'm not so sure i'd even try to remove the rust as it has that oh so rare mixture of original paint while retaining a relic look. Of course, in the end the choice is yours and i'm sure it will be interesting whichever route you take. Would you please keep us informed as the project progresses as I just love seeing the transformation as it un-folds (pun intended)...Dano

Hey Dano now im all confused:tinysmile_shy_t:

I think we had this debate not to long ago and can definately see both sides of the coin now.
Although Daves dip does seem to get good results i dont know if just a good oil rub will suffice.

Normally i am faced with no original paint so decision made for me,but i might just tinker gently and see what happens.

Best phil

Regards Daryl

Hi Daryl

Can butterflys make it all the way to OZ

or is is it the offer of the undies or down undies:smile:

At the mo this one will have to stay in cold old blighty until i can
decide what to do with it.

My mates been in OZ since september and is he in for a shock when he gets home next week:sad:

Best phil

missing friend

What makes you think that your friend will want to go back ? remember that in Oz everything is back the front .Here in Oz our beer is cold and our women hot so that meens that overthere your beer is hot and your women cold???? no wonder your mate has been here since sept! As for would a butterfly make it to Oz hopfully 2 of the little suckers will be winging there way over in the not to distant future so please keep your inbox empty as I'm sure I will need lots of advice from you and the other guys :tinysmile_shy_t:

Regards Daryl