What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD2 Warning leaflets

millsbomber

Premium Member
[FONT=&quot]Just been sifting through some of my papers and come across these..... Enjoy,,,,, Dave.

[/FONT]HPIM5993.jpg HPIM5995.jpg
pencil.png

I wouldnt mind some copies of those Dave!! (or indeedy originals... ;p) Cheers for sharing pics. Ive a new display to unveil in a few weeks and i think you 'butterfly' collectors will likey....a lot!

best

waffy

Last edited:
Very nice Dave, thanks for showing them.
Interesting view of the one which is closed, the end paddles have an unusual fixing to the wing cradle, I wonder if the artist got it wrong. The more familiar type is on the open unit.
Dave.

Here is one from my collection, slightly different from Dave's as the image on mine is a photographic image, whereas Dave's appears to be artist enhanced. The wording too is slightly different in alignment. The one shown is 1943 dated.

regards Kev

HPIM4990.jpg

................ Ive a new display to unveil in a few weeks and i think you 'butterfly' collectors will likey....a lot!

best

waffy

Looking forward to the 'unveiling' Paul :tinysmile_hmm_t: !!!!

regards Kev

Looking forward to the 'unveiling' Paul :tinysmile_hmm_t: !!!!

regards Kev

Cheers Kev :)

Time permitting now as ive got a new job whilst winding down my own small business a bit.
I only have a small collection room,so good planning is essential.

best

waff

SD2 Warning Leaflet
I found this one on the web yesterday

Thanks ehre treue, for posting this picture.

Now I have seen this one before, but only online.........does anyone know who produced this poster? As it says ' report to your C.O. ', I would assume it was a military produced one for official use, but, was this general issue or was it produced for Bomb Disposal - anyone know??

One things for sure, I wouldn't mind finding an original one of those!!!

regards Kev

Due to the wording and style, I've always thought this poster to be American in origin.
I have both the above leaflets: mine is undated and I think this may be the 'original' version issued in late 1941 when butterflies were first used against the UK. My hunch is that they were reissued with the /43 issue date. I've always been suspect about the yellow butterfly leaflets with the blue writing. There is a guy on ebay who has a permanent, never-ending constant supply of them for sale. The feel and colour of the paper, together with the blue print, seems very odd for wartime, especially when you compare it with other wartime leaflets of the period. The jury is still out on that one...
I was very lucky to pick up the British full colour 30" x 20" 'Beware of the Butterfly Bomb' poster some years ago, surely up there with the Firebomb Fritz poster. The dealer had glazed and framed it and assured me that he would send it padded wrapped in the post. The idiot put some polystyrene popcorn in with the parcel and of course they all sunk to the bottom, leaving the glass completely exposed in the box: hey presto, the frame and glass was smashed to bits on arrival - fortunately the poster was undamaged!
I also have the full set of ARP instructional glass slides of the Butterfly Bomb: the dealer said they showed "various types of wild butterflies around Britain" - he was sort of right!

Due to the wording and style, I've always thought this poster to be American in origin.
I have both the above leaflets: mine is undated and I think this may be the 'original' version issued in late 1941 when butterflies were first used against the UK. My hunch is that they were reissued with the /43 issue date. I've always been suspect about the yellow butterfly leaflets with the blue writing. There is a guy on ebay who has a permanent, never-ending constant supply of them for sale. The feel and colour of the paper, together with the blue print, seems very odd for wartime, especially when you compare it with other wartime leaflets of the period. The jury is still out on that one...
I was very lucky to pick up the British full colour 30" x 20" 'Beware of the Butterfly Bomb' poster some years ago, surely up there with the Firebomb Fritz poster. The dealer had glazed and framed it and assured me that he would send it padded wrapped in the post. The idiot put some polystyrene popcorn in with the parcel and of course they all sunk to the bottom, leaving the glass completely exposed in the box: hey presto, the frame and glass was smashed to bits on arrival - fortunately the poster was undamaged!
I also have the full set of ARP instructional glass slides of the Butterfly Bomb: the dealer said they showed "various types of wild butterflies around Britain" - he was sort of right!

Thankyou, I think you could be right about the poster being American.....though it would be good to get a definate ID on it.
Looks like you have some very nice pieces in your collection..........glad to hear the poster survived the transit, even if the frame didn't.

kind regards Kev

Last edited:
I Had never seen that poster before, it sort of makes me think its for troops not civilians, USA good point, i have the British full colour too, i have not taken out for its tube as Kent police removed it and then put it back in the tube, in bits.
The Yellow warning leaflets, the blue writing one i got from a collection i brought but the black one i brought many years ago at Tilbury fort fair, the dealer who sold me it had a roll of them, wished now i brought the complete roll,
here's 2 training posters for the SD2 as it was classed as a mine,
Dave.

HPIM6025.jpg HPIM6024.jpg

I Had never seen that poster before, it sort of makes me think its for troops not civilians, USA good point, i have the British full colour too, i have not taken out for its tube as Kent police removed it and then put it back in the tube, in bits.
The Yellow warning leaflets, the blue writing one i got from a collection i brought but the black one i brought many years ago at Tilbury fort fair, the dealer who sold me it had a roll of them, wished now i brought the complete roll, here's 2 training posters for the SD2 as it was classed as a mine,
Dave.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53864&d=1306270785

........, in bits ?? I hope you can repair it Dave, these posters are really very nice indeed!! .... and not that common!

Here is my example of the 'Beware of the Butterfly Bomb' poster.

regards Kev

butterfly poster.jpg

Thanks Dave, this was a fairly recent addition after years of searching, funny sometimes how these things come along when you least expect it.
I might say the same about the two posters you have, they look in superb condition too. I think they were part of a mine training set weren't they, issued for use prior to the invasion??
The examples I have were kindly given to me by a BOCN member, you will notice a slight variation in that the one showing the SD2 doesn't have the red ink printed on it...........(damn, yet another variation to collect !!!)

my examples....

HPIM5061.jpg HPIM5063.jpg regards Kev

I still have 2 sets of colored posters but only one set with the SD2, sorry to say it but you must have the cheaper versions LOL, still we now know there are 2 versions and also where thy are,,,,,, Dave

I agree Dave, I definately have the 'cheaper version'..........either that or they ran out of red ink!!!!!! LOL !!!!
Kev

LEI-13-HG

I have both the above leaflets: mine is undated and I think this may be the 'original' version issued in late 1941 when butterflies were first used against the UK. My hunch is that they were reissued with the /43 issue date. ..............

Hmmmm, not sure on this as I also have the 'photographic' version of this leaflet with the early date of 10 / 41 .

A thought came to me about the 'artist touched-up' photo, maybe at some point an artist 'coloured in' the photographs to represent the actual colours and this could have been used in the flyers. I really cannot think of any other explination to change the picture in these. The type set on the wording is slightly different too. However, this isn't the first time I have seen this, take the 'Beware of the Butterfly Bomb' poster, this has artist touched-up photos on it too. I guess with no date on the lealet then we may never know when they were produced for sure............at least we know there are two out there, so there must be others....(yet another one for me to find !!!, don't you just love being a collector???)

regards Kev