What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search identification 75 AP German? head

Noville

Hello,

i have an unknown AP head: 21 cm high,

It can fit a german tracer,

it is not an Pzgr. Patr 39

I' m new to this great forum

Can somebody help me:
There is a P Painted on one side : I don't think it is original. And there is an WAa symbol on one driving band

Is it an German Head, and for with canon or KWK, with kind of shell?
are there drawings for this kind of head?

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0495.JPG
    IMG_0495.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 78
Hey Noville,

My best guess would be a 7,62 cm for captured russian PaK, modified for German service ( chamber enlarged for accepting the long PaK 40 case), although the balistic cap is much more pointed than the drawings show.
Iff so, it would be a PzGr 39, as this abbreviation is a general indication used for most HE filled AP shells of a calibre of 5 cm up to at least 8,8 cm.

I would not rule out the possibility either it being a shell for a captured French gun.

P.s.

I would be interested in buying it from you in the future as the focal point of my collection is German ww1 and ww2 AP ammo.

greetz,

Menno.

Unknow 75 mm German Head?

Hello,

Pzgr 40/42, thanks fot the reply

indeed the head is more pointed then a 'normal pzgr 39'

It can be a french used by germans: but did the french had such tracer: beacuse it can fit a german tracer,

and i don't think it measured 76,2 mm.

the cap is also lager then the normal Pzgr 39

Thanks for answer

Hello, i look at the projectile it seems that there is a lot of filler on the projectile, to me it looks that they have put a new cap on, and make the projectile nice with filler, but like always, i can be wrong, Ben

the French have used a similar type of projectile in their post war AMX-13 tanks with 75 mm gun. They were the same projectiles as the german WW2 75mm PzGr39 , exept for the ballistic cap that was pointed like this one, and not round like the german one. However , these French ones are mostly found in a near new condition, this looks like me like a very bad polyestering job.
Regards, DJH

Hey Ben, Derk-Jaap,

I stand corrected.

I've looked up the french PCOT shell (indeed as used in the AMX 13), it itself has two drivingbands, but the ballistic cap and windshield do very much look like the ones on this shell. I would have to agree with Ben, this is probably just a normal 7,5 cm PzGr 39 with the cap and windshield of a PCOT round.

greetz,

Menno.

German Head identification?

Hello,

thanks for this reply's

But I have never done it but You comments has given me an idea:

I have made a new photo:
left an 76,2 mm PZgr
right an 75 mm pzgr39

First I think Ben is right: there is a lot of filler on the projectile: it measures 75,70 mm (maybe because of the filler)

But I don't think it is a Pzgr39 with other balistic cap:
The PZR 39: the piercing cap start lower and is not that wide at the top
And not an 76,2 mm: the piercing cap is higher.

I hope my photo's are good:

so what is then? I don't think that they have put on a new piercing cap.

I'm looking forward for your commets.

Attachments

• IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 23