What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sectioned 18 pr HE PD

Gspragge

Premium Member
A real one, perhaps held a sectioned fuze at one time.

Attachments

• IMG_0003 2.jpg
    IMG_0003 2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0005 3.jpg
    IMG_0005 3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0004 3.jpg
    IMG_0004 3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 122
Hi Gspragge,
A very nice piece, but my eye was drawn towards that rather lovely 4.5 (?)beside it....
Could that be original paint on the sectioned 18 Pdr?
Cheers!

Very nice! I'll bet it had the tube and some shrapnel balls in it originally. I have a 75 that is similar with the tube and a number of balls still in the matrix. I would imagine it was a pretty standard presentation.

Best regards!
- Mike

Very nice! I'll bet it had the tube and some shrapnel balls in it originally. I have a 75 that is similar with the tube and a number of balls still in the matrix. I would imagine it was a pretty standard presentation.

Best regards!
- Mike

Hi Mike, The sectioned round is a HE. HE are painted Buff, Shrapnel Black, Shrapnel also has much thinner walls. Are your balls still set in pitch? can you show us a picture ?
Cheers
Gary

That is original paint on the 18 pdr HE and the shrapnel, only the push plate inside the latter though.If I was able to get the shipping plug
off, I could complete it from another which is complete. The other is a
4.5, it has been polished and was nickle plated, though I got most of that off of it.
It lost it's markings and is a blank slate. Did I post this 6"? , poor storage so no
visible date left etc., cat food for scale. Nice sectioned shrapnel. Years ago I had a 1/2
sectioned one in a wood frame case and projectile a great ww1 training aid.

Attachments

• IMG_241.jpg
    IMG_241.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_252.jpg
    IMG_252.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Some cracking pieces there Gspragge. And that 6"....I'd bite your hand off to slot that into my collection! Never seen one as good as that, and with a brass adapter ring too. Makes mine look positively knackered. Been searching for a nice 6" HE for years...
Excuse my ignorance, but that thing sitting on top of the 4.5, is it a fuse setter? Or just an adapter for carrying the shell around?

It is a fuze setter, missing some small bits so not functioning. I know of a better 6" with a post ww1 inscription as to where it was made, but the buggers want $500 for it ~
I will re-post some images of the fuze setter.

Attachments

• IMG_0003-.jpg
    IMG_0003-.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 20
  • Setter FUZE T & P No 80.jpg
    Setter FUZE T & P No 80.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0001 4.jpg
    IMG_0001 4.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0007-.jpg
    IMG_0007-.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0008-.jpg
    IMG_0008-.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0009-.jpg
    IMG_0009-.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 26
Cheers Gspragge,
Lovely little tool and an interesting description. Seems to me like 6" HE's don't surface that often? Maybe I'm wrong. I've traded 3 in for better examples already and each time they get a little better in terms of condition.
At this rate though, I think on my 58th trade or thereabouts, I'll get one with at least some remnants of markings on it......
$500? Not cast in solid Gold is it?.....Phew!.... Mind you, at least they seem to appear more over there?
Regards

Who made it ?

Is there is enough markings showing to identify the
manufacturer ?

Attachments

• IMG_278.jpg
    IMG_278.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_279.jpg
    IMG_279.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_274.jpg
    IMG_274.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_276.jpg
    IMG_276.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 15
Fuzed it.

Have a fuze on it now, so it's about as complete as it's likely to get.

Attachments

• IMG_331.JPG
    IMG_331.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 27