What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sectioned British Grenades

oktato

Premium Member
Hi,
These 3 sectioned grenades came together.
I am more interested in post war grenades but the No.80 caught my attention because it was still used in the 1990's.
This might be a stupid question, but can anyone explain the "MB" markings on the No.77 and No.80 bodies?
I have a later No.80 which is marked Grenade Hand No.80, etc.
The photographed No.77 is marked "MB 10 NO 77, 2/44 PHOS, AW 2/44, LOT NO 480"
The No.80 is marked "MB 8 No 80, 2 44 PHOS, AWO1/44, LOT No 132"
I thought the MB might stand for the Metal Box company but it doesn't explain why the "MB" appears where I expected to see "Grenade".
I also thought the MB marking could be related to the fact that the grenades are sectioned but I see the same MB marking on the No.80 grenade in the 1951 Training Manual.
Please explain!
Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

• sectioned grenades 1.jpg
    sectioned grenades 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 94
  • sectioned grenades 2.jpg
    sectioned grenades 2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 77
  • sectioned grenades 3.jpg
    sectioned grenades 3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 72
Hi Gary,
More nice items ! As far as I know, you are right about the "MB" Being the Metal Box Company, the maker of the metal bodies, the numbers relating to the different factories. I don't think the early No 80's or any of the No 77's had the word "Grenade" on them, just the number and details of manufacture and filling etc. Tony

There are some irregularities with the markings, have they been remarked?

The No. 80 Body was manufactured by:- Metal Box Co., (British Can Co.,) Acton, London and filled by Messrs. Albright & Wilson, Ltd., Oldbury.

The No. 77 Body was manufactured by:- Metal Box Co., Henry Grant, Boutle, Bermondsey,(Grant, Henry, Boutle & Co. Tin box makers), Riley Road. SE1 and filled by Messrs. Albright & Wilson, Ltd.,

TimG

Hi,

Thanks for identifying the body manufacturers and filler.

As I said, I'm more interested in post-war grenades but the markings look original to me.

Back to the original question, was it common to put the MB code before the grenade type number? The only other example I've seen is the photo of the No.80 grenade in the 1951 Training manual.

For comparison, the following photo's show a 1950's No.80 and tin.

Thanks again,

Gary

No 80 grenade 2.jpgNo.80 grenade.jpg

Gary,

I think I have a No 77 with very similar markings to yours, ie. starting with "MB 10" but I cannot put my hands on it at short notice. Some just say: No 77 - 1 (maybe MB) and a date. The Canadian made ones have lots of markings too, there again I cannot show you one easily. My WW2 No 80 just says No 80 - 1 and manufacturers details. I am sure there were other variations too.

Thanks Tony,
So far, all the reference photo's I've seen for No.77's and No.80's just have the No.
I'm sure the markings on my sectioned grenades are original but, when you have time, I'd appreciate seeing a photograph of your example for comparison.
What I really want is a No.80 from the 1970's with "Grenade, Hand, Discharger, No.80 WP Mark 1" markings!
Best regards,
Gary

OMG!
Those are brilliant examples of No.80 grenades!
I've only seen photo's of the eau-de-nil colour scheme in Jane's Infantry Weapons.
I'm very jealous!
Gary

Thanks Tony,
So far, all the reference photo's I've seen for No.77's and No.80's just have the No.
I'm sure the markings on my sectioned grenades are original but, when you have time, I'd appreciate seeing a photograph of your example for comparison.
What I really want is a No.80 from the 1970's with "Grenade, Hand, Discharger, No.80 WP Mark 1" markings!
Best regards,
Gary

Gary,

Found my No 77 with very similar markings. This example is an inert instruct one, and it appears to have been officially repainted and re-marked. Sorry about the pic quality but the light is not good here at the moment. Markings read: MB 10 No 77 1. 3/44 PHOS AWO 2/44 Lot No 33. Marked INERT in large white letters down both sides. Sand filled with inert det tube and inert No 247 fuze assy. Hope this helps, regards, Tony.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 13
Brilliant!
Meanwhile, I also found a photo of a No.77 grenade in an earlier smoke grenades thread which had the same MB 10 code before the No.77 so I guess that was a standard style of marking for some grenades.
Thanks for the photo's.
Gary