What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sectioned MECAR 90MM M690A1 APFSDS-T Round

apfsds

Premium Member
After many years of hunting and with the help of multiple BOCN friends I was able to pair up my inert MECAR 90MM M690A1 APFSDS-T projectile with its correct, stenciled case and primer assembly. I love when I am able to put together all the correct matching, inert parts so I can make an accurate sectioned cutaway. Sorry about the poor photo quality, it really is a beautifully designed round.

Jason

IMG_0297.jpgIMG_0292.jpgIMG_0306.jpgIMG_0286.JPGIMG_0301.jpgIMG_0307.jpg

Thanks, Dave!

Sometimes I take the cases to a friend at a local machine shop and other times I use a drill press to drill a 3" or 4" hole at the top and bottom of the sectioned window I desire and then use an angle grinder with a thin metal cutting disc to connect them in a straight line. After that I file and sand the edges to dull their sharpness. This was a fired case so I spent a few days sanding the primer and inside of the case clean and spray with a thin layer of clear lacquer to keep from tarnishing.

Jason

So glad to see that casing gotta you and ended up in such a beautiful display.

I am still wondering why it is a Canadian marked casing because as far as I know, we don't use any 90mm systems. Anyone have any ideas?

So freaking cool Jason!

Can't thank you enough for all of your help, Rhys! I'm thrilled with the way it came out.

I am not sure why this case was in Canada? I know Canada has a very large tank range and maybe they were contracted by Mecar to do some testing? Just a nerdy guess :)

Jason

No problem buddy, you got me that M735!

I guessed maybe Canada was testing it to see if they liked it, but could not find anything on it. Makes sense but why make custom made Canadian marked casings instead of just using existing ammo from Mecar? Anyone have some more info on it? I came across another Canadian marked casing which we dont use not to long ago also, I believe Steve had it (M8owner).

Let me know if you need help finding the correct case for the M735, Bud! They are fairly common with a case designation of M148A1B1.

Jason