What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shell carrier info req'd

Cirus

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me anything about the use of shell carriers in WW1? More specifically, the hard black canvas type with a thick leather handle strap that would now normally be used as umberella stands. On the side is the royal coat of arms and they stand 1.5ft high (approx). The one I have ended up with the Royal Canadian Dragoons in 1917, which to me seems surprising unless they had their own artillery?

Regs
Cirus.

Last edited:
Hi Cirus,
I too have such a carrier and would also like to know about its origin. Mine is also 18 inches high and 6 inches in diameter. It is painted drab green with the coat of arms on the side, and has been adapted to make an umbrella stand. I think it is a bag charge case. The leather strap which serves as the handle looks as if it comes from something else, though it is stamped RCD 1917 No. 57. I cannot find anything to associate with this stamp and the number 58365 which is stamped below it. In 1917 the Royal Canadian Dragoons played a major role at the battle of Vimy Ridge but I cannot find anything else to link to these stamp markings. I bought the case in an antique shop and they knew nothing of ots origin.
Regards,
Tony

Hi Tony,

Into the leather handle on mine is stamped 'No 56, 58 62 & 63' has yours anything similiar?

Regs
Cirus