What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sidewinder Missile 9 series

Excellent. Funny and informative.
I might use that as a film loop when we display our recently acquired Sidewinder. 2012-08-17 13.34.40.jpg

Nice, reminds me of a couple of Air Force armourers i know, always told people at airshows that the sidewinder was guided by an in-built Hampster(with attitude!).

Last edited:
Thankfully I have all the necessary release papers and FFE certificates with my Sidewinder.

The only problem with a drill 9 missiles is that they sometimes use live seeker heads with gas grain generators fitted, but fitted with a drill umbilical (blue plastic coated securing band) the firing pins and wires are removed (not present). But as you said, if all the paperwork is in order, this should not pose any problems.

Mind you its still a heavy item to have - three man lift - not using the wings!!!!!!!!!!

The only problem with a drill 9 missiles is that they sometimes use live seeker heads with gas grain generators fitted, but fitted with a drill umbilical (blue plastic coated securing band) the firing pins and wires are removed (not present). But as you said, if all the paperwork is in order, this should not pose any problems.

Mind you its still a heavy item to have - three man lift - not using the wings!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. Ours has the seeker head fitted but totally FFE. The umbilical is fitted. Yes it is very heavy. This thread from when we acquired it - http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/84205-Todays-latest-acquisitions-(1)

Hi Exat,
I do not know if it helps, but I have a cutaway model of a AIM-9B sidewinder nose, showing the inner parts.
Some info:
The fins are steered with gas from a gas generator. The gas is devided to all four cylinders by a four way devider piece, placing all four cilinders on exactly the same pressure. As soon as the fins have to be rotated, a valve in the base of the -hollow- piston is closed so the pressure above it rises and pushes the piston down. This pushes a yoke on one side of the shaft down. The other yoke is on the other side of the shaft at the opposite cylinder. I suppose the other yoke is activated to bring the rudder back to it’s zere position after the corner has been taken.
Note the grid on top of the piston
Around the mirror of the seeker head a red copper spool is placed. In fact these are a number of spools that work like an electric engine , the rotating mirror placed on top of the stator of the motor.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 02 - AIM 9-B Sidewinder seeker head.JPG
    02 - AIM 9-B Sidewinder seeker head.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 03 - P1200918.jpg
    03 - P1200918.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 04 - AIM 9-B Sidewinder pistons and cylinders for steering.jpg
    04 - AIM 9-B Sidewinder pistons and cylinders for steering.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 28
  • 05 - AIM 9-B Sidewinder steering  electronics.jpg
    05 - AIM 9-B Sidewinder steering electronics.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 01 - AIM 9-B Sidewinder, seeker and steering gear.jpg
    01 - AIM 9-B Sidewinder, seeker and steering gear.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thank you. Excellent photographs. May I use them for our display purposes please? I will give due credit for their use.