What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sledging and sledge making! yipee

18pounder

well its the right conditions for it,and my children want to go sledging.

Can i find a sledge,can i hell.
All seem to be sold out everywhere so i'm going to make do.

So here's the question.

What have you made a sledge out of,and what do you recomend?
Come on folks lets have some snowey pictures on here to get in the mood.

Ive just about had enough of folk moaning about the snow and how cold it is ...blah blah.
But i think its great fun!

Its especialy great for children,so come on and show us your snow men,and your sledges or sledging!!
lets have a little fun.

I made a snow man at work and someone stole her head and left me a ransom note! i managed to get her back in one piece though.

Hope you all keep warm and safe, and be carefull driving-slow down!

regards and hope all your children have lots of fun!!!!

A big tin or plastic tray will do or even a big plastic heavy duty sack should do the job.
Mind you, you need to be brave to use a tin tray.

Cant get out to go sledging here, blizzard conditions.

Andy

Plastic sacks are OK but it really hurts when you go over a rock or large lump of ice. Tin trays are brilliant if the snow is shallow but difficult to control.
I've made a few sledges over the years - traditional style, planks either side with the front cut at 45 degrees and slats across the top - would take several hours to make though!! The important thing is to put metal on the runners (cut metal strips and nail them in place), if you only have wood runners the sledge just doesn't run unless its on a really steep hill.
Dave.

The boot lid to a VW bug (highly waxed) will just fly down a slope. Steering is just not an option though! Dano

A dispenser half would work well, afraid all mine are home....

There was a picture in the free paper the other day of some kids using wheelie bins and holding the 2 parts of the hinge as handlebars.

sledge

Try plank sides say 4ins x 1in by about 36in long, bar across the front, 1/2in plywood across the back to space the planks 18 to 22 ins apart. The sledge runs on the edge of the planks to which you screw plastic stips, nylon is best but you can use bits of trunking etc. Made mine for our kids when they were 6 or 7 yrs old now their children use it. Had to rebuild it when me and two mates went over a bank and landed heavily. 2pr

oh ok,sounds you lot are real sledging pros!

nice ideas.
In the 70's and 80's we used to get this kinda weather all the time.
Everyone used to come out and build snowmen and sledge...together!

A mate of mine whent down a steep hill laid on his front.
Hit the curb running along the bottom.Sledge stopped and he carried on! and smashed all his teeth in!

it was funny at the time.