What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slr...

V40

This is just I candy for Panther1 and to all others who may have carried her in anger. "God Bless you all" This is my most Valuable, Materialistic, Possession I own! And boy she is a tack driver. This my go to weapon in case the proverbial poopoo hits the occillating device here in my Country.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t I alos have an Enfield Mk.2 No1 that is also a tack driver with any ammo that she can get down the chamber. This one is also a two-rifiling barrell. It means she has only two grooves and two lands. If you like I 'll post pictures of her here. She is also dated 1943.

Last edited:
Wow! I love these things. I fired one when I was younger, and what an accurate rifle it was. Didn't use the sight though. I didn't realise they could be used with a bipod. Where those issue?

Very nice! I have always wanted and FN-FAL. Never had the opportunity to shoot one.

The L1A1 brings a lump to my throat as do the old Australian Army Pams (pamphlets). It is amazing where these old pams turn up. We Australians never used the Trilux sight On the Australian SLR the Trilux sight and plastic furniture were trialled but not accepted for service. Having used the Austeyr (Australian bulit Steyr) the old SLR pee peed all over it except in weight and length. I prefererd to carry the L2A1 heavy barrel version of the L1A1, which I did on exercise in the tropics and desert. You can reach out and touch someone at long range which you can't do with 5.56 x 45 NATO.

pointblanko,

Not sure if these did come with the bipod or not. Now I have seen pictures where they were used, but nothing substanuated. The bipod was of American made.

This is why I am still looking for some accessories that went with the SLR such as the Arctic sling and even an Energa R/G. If these can be had please, please let me know and maybe we can trade for them?

This look like an old M16 bipod. The bipod was on the L2A1 AR (automatic weapon), which is almost identical similar to the Canadian C2. Bipods were standard on the heavy barrel vesrions of the FN-FAL. The wooden foregrip was replaced by a folding bipod with wooden 'grips' along the legs, which when folded and when locked in rearward, gave a good grip away from the hot barrel.

Brought back fond memories!!
As GI said you can really reach people with these!!
You may find a Harris bipod or similar a lot more rugged & practical?
At one stage I had mine fitted with an action cover that had weaver mounts on it - not sure if I handed it back in??? must have a rummage. for the life of me I cannot remember the scope I had fitted but I did mount my Red Dot off of one of my .22`s for a laugh & it worked very well (close range).

We used to fit GPMG bipods to some SLR's usually if it was also going to be used with a Starlight scope.

Old Bren gun bipods were sometimes used as well, the bayonet fitting was welded to the bipod.

Neither were particularly popular with the lads, it made the SLR heavier and the bipod was just another item to get caught up in the "ulu".