What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small arms query

SG500

Premium Member
Please would someone interpret the headstamp on this.
Not my area of interest, this was given to a friend of mine and he asked me what it all means.
Inert, primer oiled and it rattles.
Thanks,
Dave.

Attachments

• 11 Feb 10 004.jpg
    11 Feb 10 004.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 11 Feb 10 003.jpg
    11 Feb 10 003.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 33
Thanks Andy.
What about the VII
Is it a mk 7 something?
If so what's the difference between a Mk VII and a Mk VI for example?
Dave.

Hi Yes i should have said MkVII ball sorry as for the difference the MkVI was a 215 grain round nose bullet where as the Mk VII was a 175 grain pointed bullet.
Andy

Mark VII

Sorry to be picky (well. not really) but the Mark VII bullet weight was 174 grains. the Mark VIIIz was 175 grains.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks Tony for pointing out that one it was a typing error on my part.:tinysmile_angry_t:
Andy

TonyE; the Mark VII bullet weight was 174 grains. the Mark VIIIz was 175 grains. Regards TonyE[/QUOTE said:
Tony is there any chance you could list the various bullet weight for us I have the bullet profiles for each Mk of bullet from your 1st class book I got but I cant find the bullet weights & if nickel or not.

Also could you tell me which manufacturers and when where the lead bullets used & what was the weight of them..

Richard.

Weights

You are trying to preempt my Part 2 book!

However, here are the details for ball rounds.

All .303 ball had cupro-nickel (CN) envelopes until about 1943 when gilding metal (GM) began to be used extensively. After that they could be CN, GM, CNCS or GMCS.

All ball rounds from Black Powder Mark I to Cordite Ball Mark VI weighed 215 grains. Mark VII was 174 grns and Mark VIIIz was 175 grns.

Short Range Mark I was CN and 150 grns
Short Range Mark II was CN and 188 grns
Short Range Mark III was CN and 188 grns
Short Range Mark IV was CN and 188 grns

Lead bulleted training ammunition.

Canadian Powder Mark I, 90 grns
Canadian Smokeless Mark I, 90 grns
Canadian Smokeless Mark II, 125 grns
India Pattern Mark I, 96 grns
There were also a number of experimental British lead bulleted training rounds of various weights but none were approved for service.

I cannot post all the bullet details of the other 100+ marks of .303 here, it would take too long. Sorry. but you will have to wait for the book!

Regards
TonyE

Headstamps Part 2

I am working on it this very morning. I have finished all the headstamps I have recorded so now I need to check with the other major .303 collectors (That includes you Roger!). I am off to Tucson next month and then the IAA meeting in St.Louis to check a couple more. After that it is the photography, so it is well on the way.

Maybe in print by the Autumn with luck.

Regards
TonyE