What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small shells

Millsman

Premium Member
Have just bought a nice pair of shell on brass stands.

They are 90mm long, 35mm Diameter and weigh in at 522gm/ 1.2 lb. The interesting part is the hatching in the middle. Are these pre WW1?

John

Attachments

• SSCN4840.JPG
    SSCN4840.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 104
1 WW or earlier

Hi Millsman i think the "hatching" in the middle that refer to is where the driving bands should be!
Very interesting design of projectile and whilst the early stuff is not my forte I think they are very early shells and certainly First WW vintage if not older than that.
Someone here will positively ID them for you.

Yes I know what you mean there, but it almost looks like the 'bands' are a part of the body. I've not put the vernier on it yet to see if the diameter changes. They certainly loo well made.

John

Driving bands?

Hi John I may be missing something here but from your post it sounds like they DO have driving bands-is that correct, and the knurling is in between the upper and lower bands-I cannot make out the picture too well to decide????????????????????????????????????

Chris the areas either side of the hatching look a fraction thicker than the rest of the body, so I thought they may be built in bands, but I do concede the hatched area does look as though the band should be there.

John

They look like

37mm 1 pdr. types with both bands missing or never applied. Any marks and what is the base like ? hollow ~

( first naked ones I have seen ! )

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 33
A ha, getting somewhere now.

No marks, but there was a hole in the base now plugged with a copper plug and sanded off by the look of it. No fuze as shown in your photo.

John

These may be

unfinished examples then, if a copper plug then it's not a cut off fuze which would be brass.

Maybe rejects for some unknown reason or just souveenered. I am not familiar with the pattern of the body under the band on these, this knurling looks American, though this kind of projectile was not made there as far as I know. Maybe somebody else can confirm the knurling pattern as British made?

Am I right in thinking this driving band pattern would be 1890-1910 period?

John

Pretty much

I don't think much was made after WW1 with a few exceptions 9In this pattern, like Norwegian Blue's with or without parrots-- (per wanted thread)