What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMLE in original condition with luminous sights

bones92

I recently acquired a No1 MKIII* (BSA 1917) with the original luminous sights still attached. This rifle was acquired by a US Army Ordnance officer who had it shipped back to the U.S., along with a Gew98 and some other items (to include an unknown grenade that is posted on the Grenade forum here). It is an entirely original rifle, with every part bearing the BSA proof stamp, including the oiler. As far as I can tell, it is exactly as it would have left the trenches.

Photos are here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?207845-1917-BSA-No1-MkIII*-with-Luminous-Sights

So far, I have yet to find another example of an SMLE with it's original luminous sights still installed. I was curious to know if there are examples among collections in the UK. Are there any examples in the Pattern Room display?

Last edited:
There are certainly examples of luminous sights in the Pattern Room (now the National Firearms Centre). However, because they are dismountable it is hard to say that any particular sight is original to any particular rifle. Also, many were private purchase.

In the case of your rifle there is a provenance that it came back from the trenches with the luminous sights that were fitted at the time, but the sights could be fitted to any contemporary SMLE so would that be "original"?

Regards
TonyE

SDC15701.jpgSDC15743.jpgThe upload feature only lets me load one at a time, and it's really slow... but here are a few basic photos...

SDC15675.jpg

As TonyE points out, I consider it very lucky to have been able to meet the son of the US soldier who sent this back.

Last edited:
Very nice S.M.L.E. Bones,
It does have a couple of features from the earlier Mk III,the round cocking piece and the rear sight with windage adjustment,is there a serial number on the bottom of the sight and does it match the rifle serial number?
as the Mk III* was approved as a wartime expediency on 2nd January 1916(BSA and Enfield made some in 1915) it seems a bit late for the use up MkIII parts first thing,we can rule out this rifle having parts replaced after the war in service(Mk III was again made by BSA after WWI) because of it being a 'bring home' so could well be field repairs during WWI which adds a bit more history to this lovely old rifle,thankyou very much for showing us itP3120002.JPGP3120003.JPG

All the best
Tony

Bones,

I am supposing that those "Night sights " do not work anymore. If you would like to get a set of replacement "Night Sights" i may be able to help you out. Let me know if you or others are interested?

I would be very interested in acquiring a set for my SMLE. Please PM me with details.

Regards
TonyE

Yes, the rear sight leaf, nosecap and stock are all serial matching. I believe the rifle is 100% original, right down to the BSA oiler in the butt-trap. I posted a lot of photos on the Lee-Enfield forum at www.gunboards.com. Thus far, nobody has mentioned anything about replacement parts. All parts are proofed for BSA, and I see no indication that anything was ever replaced on the rifle.

Yes, the rifle has been preserved exactly as it is since the end of the first world war. It has literally been kept in good storage ever since.

Bones,

I am supposing that those "Night sights " do not work anymore. If you would like to get a set of replacement "Night Sights" i may be able to help you out. Let me know if you or others are interested?

Thanks for the offer. However, I could never alter a single thing on this rifle. It is my intent to maintain it just as it has been for the past 90+ years...

Yes, the rear sight leaf, nosecap and stock are all serial matching. I believe the rifle is 100% original, right down to the BSA oiler in the butt-trap. I posted a lot of photos on the Lee-Enfield forum at www.gunboards.com. Thus far, nobody has mentioned anything about replacement parts. All parts are proofed for BSA, and I see no indication that anything was ever replaced on the rifle.

Yes, the rifle has been preserved exactly as it is since the end of the first world war. It has literally been kept in good storage ever since.

Absolutly no debate at all as to if this rifle as was when it left the battlefield,but there are obvious parts to this rifle that have been replaced since it left the BSA factory,ie as already mentioned the MkIII cocking piece and the MkIII rearsight and also brass butt marking discs would only be found on very early MkIII*'s, as for all parts are proofed for BSA,there will only be three proof marks on this rifle,barrel,reciever and bolt head and will be marked as,on barrel and reciever as crown,GR ,crossed flags and P,nothing to do with BSA at all,the marks you are refering to are BSA inspection marks.
I have looked at the forum you mentioned above to find your rifle in there but gave up after I read some rubbish about POF manufactured No 4 rifles.
If you do not believe me about the points I mentioned above I suggest you get yourself a copy of one of the many publications about the S.M.L.E by Ian Skennerton and if you still disagree then take it up with him.
I have collected and refurbished/rebuilt these rifles for many years for the trade and have had every mark of SMLE and most converted marks,British and common wealth.
I also take that by your refrence of your rifles originality that it has not been de-activated and therfore,if you read the forum rules, should not have been posted on this forum in the first place.
Regards
Tony

P.S.
the trigger guard is also wrong for a MkIII*,it should have a 'wire' loop instead of a swivel fitting,again a MkIII part.

Tony

Smle

What a SWEET rifle, obviously THE classic design of The Great War and beyond. One would be hard pressed to find a finer looking rifle. And right-o you are, do not even change a thing on it. It wrenches my gut to see a war rifle that has been "sporterized"....................... NICE PIECE....Dano

Last edited:
Lovely rifle bones. It's not the first MkIII* to be observed with windage adjustment and the numbering looks correct. I'd say it's original from new manufacture but I could be wrong. It happens all the time.