What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOE Welrod at W&P

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
It was of some considerable interest that I happened across a 0.32 Welrod Mark IIA being shown to a prospective buyer at the W&P Show today and I start this note by apologising to D&B Militaria and the gentlemen concerned for blistering into a private conversation. There was some discussion about the gestation of the 0.32-inch Welrod.

From the research that I have done the following is a short summary of the development:

In September, 1942, there was an SOE operational requirement
for a silent pistol, of .32 or larger calibre, such that the noise of firing would not be recognised as a pistol shot at 50 yards. The weight of the gun was to be as light as possible, and the shape was to be of such dimen­sions as to make it easy to conceal the weapon on a person. The pistol to carry not less than 5 rounds, and the sights should be suitable for bad light or darkness.

In November, Combined Operations H.Q. confirmed that they had a requirement for a really silent gun suitable for disposing of sentries, etc.
These two (SOE & COHQ) requirements were met by the Welrod, which was initially designed by Major Reeves at Station IX, and later re-designed by Major Reeves and Mr. Norman, also at Station IX. The making of the first gun and much of the development work was carried out by Mr. F.T. Bridgeman, in the I.S.R.B. workshop at Cambridge.

The Welrod was designed as a compact tube weapon to be used in a two-handed grip. In the Mark I the right hand grasped the magazine butt and the trigger was operated with the thumb. The left hand grasped the barrel of the silencer in a convenient forward position. Experience in manufacture and results of tests of this weapon showed it to be not wholly satisfactory in some respects, and by April, 1943, a Mark II had been designed, which employed a detachable magazine, spring ejector, increased simplicity in bolt action, and a trigger action similar to that in the Colt automatic User Trials of Mark II (and also of Mark I) took place in June, 1943.

In July, 1943, an order for 1,000 Welrods was placed by Station XII with Messrs. B.S.A., Ltd., Birmingham. The first 100 were to be considered as pre-production samples, and from experience with these, certain modifications in design were made. The final production model was known as Welrod Mark II.A. The Welrod Mark II.A. passed Acceptance Trials in November, 1943.

Small scale production in the development stage was done by Messrs. Hydran Products, Staines. Full scale production of Mark II.A. was carried out by Messrs. B.S.A., Ltd, Birmingham. In the first production there were a considerable number of rejec­tions due to unsatisfactory assembly and finish.

A total number of 16,100 Mark II.A. Welrods were manufactured up to December, 1944.

The Welrod 9mm is another story.

Again, apologies to those mentioned should you be members of this group.

Just out of interest i see a box of silencer rubbers also at the war and peace show,,,,,,,,, inert of cause,,,, Dave