What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

some advice needed on coroded shell case

blu97

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Ordnance approved
Hi all, I have this rare cartridge case with the orignal markings on it but it is heavily coroded, is there a way to remove the corosion and leave the original markings on it?.
The cartridge case is marked in red Fur Gr 39 HL/C (t), so for the projectile 39 hollow charge C tjechisch, and with black markings with the loading data etc. The cartridge case itself is made in tjechislowaki.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• 10 cm gr 39 HL-C.jpg
    10 cm gr 39 HL-C.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 71
It's quite a work but you could try to scratch the corrosion residues from a small area at a time using a glassfiber pencil.
In any case do not use any acids, the brass seems to have lost some of the zinc already and if using acid it will eat up the rest of zinc and you get just a red copper surface.

Thanks for that T-mine I will try that very carefully and hope the marings remain, if not I will leave it like this because it is the first time I have seen this cind of case with these markings.

I agree with Jan, leave it as it is. I've once done the same with a 17 piunder shellcase and the result was not to satisfaction, looking quite strange in fact as all these red spots emerged where the zinc had corroded out of the brass.
Regards, DJH