What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Exotic Cutaways

Some more exotic cutaways for your viewing pleasure.

cutaway16017.jpg

From left to right:

M993 tungsten core AP projectile for the 7.62x51 black tip. Head stamp was FFV/91

.223 Man Marker Unit by Ultimate Training Munitions, blue marker.

XM276 Dim tracer projectile, first generation with yellow over white tip (Not sure about this one?).

wolfgang

Wolfgang

Yellow over white would be very unusual for an XM 276. Are you positive that it's not green/white with the green having faded? Is the jacket GM or GMCS? Finally, any idea what the case headstamp may have been?

Ray

Thanks Ray for the response. This has been baffling me to say the least. Its the same size and shape as a M62 tracer, made of GM jacket, and what looks like the same composition as the other dim tracers with the same white compound. I don't think the color tip is faded, very much yellow over white, however I could still be wrong. (Once had acid fall on the back of a $100 bill and it changed from green to yellow!). These 2 projectiles came from P. Burris through a trade and they came with out the cases. Please, still would like your opinion with your expertise in the 7.62x51. Going to try to get to the SLICS show this year and can bring them for better inspection if you would like. wolfgang (kevin)

I have to agree that, in your photo, they sure do look yellow/white. Coming from Mr. Burris, I suppose they could be a different version of the XM 276 since, as we know, he always manages to find color tips that the rest of us never see.

The XM276 cartridges that I have are all GMCS jackets until you get to green/white in the 1990s which has a GM jacket. And the M276 (Violet, LC 95) also has a GM jacket.

It was always assumed that the green/white tips were a painting error because that is the same color combination that the frangible uses. But there are too many green/white, spanning several years, to think that they are a simple mistake. But this could throw a monkey wrench into all the conventional thinking and maybe it's possible that they were suppose to be yellow/white????

I won't be at SLICS but be sure to ask Mr. Burris when you see him. Maybe he knows. Or, maybe ask on the IAA Forum??

Ray

Last edited:
We were trying to conceal his true identity but now everyone knows! Since his embarrassing NFL loss he's been incognito and may even change his name.

And don't ask me where cognito is. ;)

Ray

Last edited:
Yea. I'm pi$$ed. Had sent my cheese hat to the cleaners, in anticipation. For naught.