What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

some new German marine cartridge cases added to my collection this year.

thekees

Have a few nice large cases added to the collection:

1, an 30,5 cm L/50 case, made by Polte Magdeburg at "V 1915". This with a rare haube.
As new. The one on the right in the picture)

2. an 30,5 cm L/50 case, as new, made by Polte at XI 1926 in Magdeburg. (left one)

3. And last but not least, an 28 cm L45/50 case, made in 1937.

Will add more pictures.

Attachments

• 30.5 002.jpg
    30.5 002.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 124
  • tekst28cm.jpg
    tekst28cm.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 30,526 003.jpg
    30,526 003.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 130
Thank you for posting the pictures and more would be excellent Kees.

I love the 28cm L45/50 case with the stencil markings.

PC

28cm1937.jpgkarl14.jpgPolte11.jpg17cm1933.jpg
Here are the markings of the 1937 28 cm l45/50 case, added the markings of a 30,5 cm Polte/1911, and Karlsruhe 1914 for reference too. The last picture is a 17 cm L/40 case, marked 1933, not often seen.

I love these cases, still on the hunt for:

- 28 cm C/95 WW2 marked.
- 30,5 as above.
- 24 cm C/95 WW2 marked.
2011 should make this list shorter, and me a poor men.

Last edited:
Kees, I have so enjoyed your posts on the casings over time. I really like the WW1 shell casings but due to size constrictions I have limited myself to smaller casings except for one 215cm German casing. Where on earth do you find the room for them? When a few things happen around here with my current situation, the wife and I are looking to get a house on some ground. When that happens I will erect a mosest pole barn to house goodies, and then I think I will go after some casings. I pictured my big 215cm casing (German WW1) with 1915 date. Can't seem to get a good shot of headstamp though it is quite pronounced. I pictured it next to the m1917 German rifle grenade for size comparison. Anyway my point is I really like your collection and keep up the good work. With respect...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 058.jpg
    Picture 058.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Dano,

The space for my hobby was a kind of trade with my wife, i rebuild the house, and build the garage, and in return i have some space now.
And as with the most of us i guess, i'm always putting cases etc in the living room. started with non allowed, right now i have my "WAR"corner.

That are some pretty shelcases. I have only added

24 cm case made by the germans in 1906 for the netherlands and later on in WWII the restamped it (i geuss that Kees also has one)
30,5 cm M11 howitzer case
28 cm SK L45/50
38 cm Langer max Shellcase

i am still on the outlook for
17 cm C/95
24 cm eisenbahn
28 cm SK L40
28 cm K5
42 cm Big Bertha ( who isn't)

so not a very exclusive list butt that will do it for 2011. Maybe in 2012 i can match to the want to have list of Kees but i geuss that is more for the advanced collectors of the real big stuff

Regards

DM

View attachment 49350View attachment 49349View attachment 49348View attachment 49347
Here are the markings of the 1937 28 cm l45/50 case, added the markings of a 30,5 cm Polte/1911, and Karlsruhe 1914 for reference too. The last picture is a 17 cm L/40 case, marked 1933, not often seen.

I love these cases, still on the hunt for:

- 28 cm C/95 WW2 marked.
- 30,5 as above.
- 24 cm C/95 WW2 marked.
2011 should make this list shorter, and me a poor men.

Seems you are an expert in this field, how rare and valuable are these kind of cases? Market price I mean.

These are rare in the Netherlands, but going south allong the Belgium coast they seem to be more frequently for sale. Due to the fact the Germans had mucho railwayguns and costal guns there in WW1 and WW2. Prices? hard to tell, 28 cm cases WW1 go from 700-1200, and sometimes even up to 1500 euro, demand is a bad advisor in this. Right now there is a high demand, so prices are getting up. Still when you look in the dusty corners of old attic sales you can find a lot, to bad internet makes every seller up to date with the price. Dont think you will find bargains at shows, or on the websites, its the old mouth to mouth talk that creates oppertunities. WW2 large cases are much more rare then the WW1 ones, on every 100 or so, you will find one WW2 case. You can believe it's rarety does something with the price too. lucky that there are not to much variations in these cases, or you have to collect by manufactor year. like coints.

Yes mostly German. France, great britain and the usa worked with powder bags in thier guns. Before WWI gemanry produced shells and guns for export. The also delivered for instance to the Netherlands in kaliber 24 cm. I have only seen exported shellcases from Karlsruhe in kalibers 24 cm 7,5 cm and 37mm but i geuss there must be more.

So if you will see a big shellcase there is a big chance it is a german one

Latest addition (or addiction?), a few 3,7 cm C/30 cartridges, few with the 3 band projectile, 2 with the double band.C30 036.jpg

Dano,

The space for my hobby was a kind of trade with my wife, i rebuild the house, and build the garage, and in return i have some space now.
And as with the most of us i guess, i'm always putting cases etc in the living room. started with non allowed, right now i have my "WAR"corner.

Hi Kees,
Sounds more to me like you didn't make a trade WITH your wife, but rather FOR your wife ;) ;) ;)
No way on earth that my wife would ever allow me to put stuff like that in the living room, let alone set-up a war corner over there! My stuff is stored in a different corner: one in the attic. :p
Cheers,
Olafo

This week i placed two rifles on the wall, one dect K98K, and one Gewehr 88, deact too, another boundery skipped, next is a kubelwagen....
kamer 001.jpg

Last edited: