What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some new show finds to add to the collection

MissingSomething

So I found a few new treasures this past weekend.. The drilled FW marked drill grenade has a funny filler plug... looks messed with?... OM /|\ or OW /|\

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2113.jpg
    IMG_2113.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2115.jpg
    IMG_2115.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
more pics

Another picture of the brass base.. First one I have obtained. Its on the FW marked drill grenade (has holes drilled).

Marked:

m

MK

AF

Attachments

• IMG_2116.jpg
    IMG_2116.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 21
gooten stuffen

Nice finds Missingsomething. Great additions to your collection. Nice Mills bombs. the variations out there is nothing short of mind boggling. Mills are not too easy to come across in the states. I'd have to say you did real good. Your collection has grown immensely just since i've been a member here. Do you know what the FW marking represents? Great finds and thanx for sharing..Best...Dano

Last edited:
Hi Craig

Some very good buys there. The first one is a very rare WW1 No5 Training grenade. Very desireable.

FW is Frost & Woods Dano. Canadian maker.

John

So I found a few new treasures this past weekend.. The drilled FW marked drill grenade has a funny filler plug... looks messed with?... OM /|\ or OW /|\

Nice grens buddy, particularly the No5, am a tad envious.

Re the FW Drill gren, not sure it has been messed with. I have a drill Mk 2 with a very similar filler that has a hexagonal hole in the centre. The filler looks a bit manky, also, sorry for the poor quality picture but the hexagon is well made and therefore an original item. I am not sure who made the gren body as one of the holes has obscured the maker mark. I do think its quite a rare type of filler, dont be tempted to remove it as you could ruin it.

Andy

Attachments

• Picture563.jpg
    Picture563.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 26

I do think its quite a rare type of filler, dont be tempted to remove it as you could ruin it.

Andy

I agree there Andy. Very similar to the fillers on the Israelis Mills Copies, but these have the additional slot across the middle.

John

Re the FW Drill gren, not sure it has been messed with. I have a drill Mk 2 with a very similar filler that has a hexagonal hole in the centre. The filler looks a bit manky, also, sorry for the poor quality picture but the hexagon is well made and therefore an original item. I am not sure who made the gren body as one of the holes has obscured the maker mark. I do think its quite a rare type of filler, don't be tempted to remove it as you could ruin it.

Andy

Thanks Andy. The Drill grenade is a "FW" as well.

Thanks Dano, as mentioned FW is Frost & Woods. Canadian maker.

How defined is that filler plug? It looks like someone has attempted to drill it out or insert a screw remover at some point.